Morning at Dead Horse Point State Park

I realize that the “local park” isn’t supposed to be well known but I live in Moab, and all three parks within 30 miles of my house are very, very well known…so I’m a bit limited. Hopefully sharing an image from Dead Horse Point SP qualifies for this challenge. I made this image sitting on the ground next to a spider who I’m pretty sure wasn’t psyched I’d intruded upon his land but we came to an agreement and all was fine. This tree has probably been photographed thousands of times, but I’ve never seen an image of it from this low perspective. As always, trying to offer a new view on iconic locations.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

Open to any constructive comments y’all may have.

Technical Details

Canon 5D MKII
Canon 16-35mm lens @ 16mm
ISO 100
f/11
1/15s
Processed in LR Classic

4 Likes

Hi Bret! When I saw the challenge I pictured green lawns and kids on playground equipment but there are some beautiful parks out there that are a lot more than that. Very nice shot. I like the framing and the way the clouds and the ground lead to the tree. I have never seen a photo of that tree and I understand the urge to put a different spin on something you’ve seen a number of times. That being said I feel like I’d like to see a little more of the canyon. The light back there looks amazing.

Bret, what a lovely scene, and to think you live nearby. I had this park on our list of parks when we flew out west 9 years ago, but my husband and the couple we were traveling with were getting tired by the time we got to Moab, and so I had to drop this beautiful park off the list. People are more important, and maybe I can still get there one day. The tree really adds to the scene nicely.

Bret, outstanding image! I love the comp and color and this photo just works. Well done! I would not change a thing.

Bret, while I haven’t been to Moab this century, I do wonder if there aren’t any “local parks” along the river, North of town. Your low viewpoint works very well here, especially with the balance between the tree and the river. It’s also a great sky with the kiss of sun on the distant plateau being a fine extra touch.

Hi Bret,

Beautiful scene, and you captured it at the perfect time of day and from a great perspective!

What strikes me first is the placement of the tree, the horizon is right in the deepest curve in the trunk with the leaves and branches being backlit by the sky, I’m sure you planned it that way! Just wonderful!

As others have mentioned, it’s a great image!

I don’t have any nits or real suggestions but I do wonder how it might look if the color of the water were a little less brown, maybe try desaturating and maybe a touch less exposure?
I’m not sure it’s worth the trouble because it looks really good as it is, it was just a passing thought.

BTW, the 16mm focal length really worked in your favor (for the clouds in particular), I love the way they seem to converge at the brightest part of the horizon near the center.

Well done! :slight_smile:

Thank you for the comments, everyone.

@Mark_Seaver There is Lion’s Park at the intersection of 191 and 128. Hadn’t considered it but that would have been an option.

@Shirley_Freeman Please do come back and be sure to visit Dead Horse Point. It’s actually my favorite place in all of Moab - even moreso than either of the national parks.

@Merv I hadn’t considered the water but I’ll definitely take a look at it. I don’t use ultra-wide angle lenses often but when the scene calls for it…they’re magic!

1 Like

Bret, I really don’t have anything new to add except that I think this is a lovely photo, and although I’ve seen that curve and the tree many times, your perspective on it, along with the great clouds and the sun hitting the canyon, makes it a beautiful shot. My local parks in Ohio pale in comparison!