Morning Willows

I really enjoy the effects that “shooting through” gives, and I spend the last two mornings experimenting with willows. This composition appealed to me because of the swooping branches. The bright bokeh circles are from the top of the buds just coming out, with that bit of white fuzz.

I first saw photos with this effect maybe a decade ago, when I first got into photography. Their ethereal nature really appealed to me, but at the time I had no idea how to get that effect. I have to say that it is harder than it would seem to find the appropriate density of stems, with the appropriate spacing and background, to have a frame with no bits that are too much in focus, too dark, too light, the wrong shape, etc.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
a7r3, 234 mm, f/6.3, 1/200s, ISO 400.

2 Likes

I like this as a soft abstract. I’ve never seriously done this sort of thing. I’m wondering how you previsualize this? You get different images based on your DOF. It’s sort of like those ICMs that are becoming more popular. I actually prefer this to them though.

Critiquing something like this is very difficult as well. Nothing is sharp and the lines and shapes are poorly defined. I guess that bulbous yellow thing in the middle stands out. Maybe desaturate it a bit? I don’t know. I’m curious to see what suggestions you’ll get.

Interesting technique; the result is very artistic. My favorite part, though, is the color you captured. It has a very soft feel; quite beautiful. For me, this type of image is one of those that could “really tie a room together” as wall art.

Nicely done Bonnie. Love the soft color palette and also the wonderful rhythm created by the flow of the “reeds.” Very creative.

What an interesting marriage of colors and shapes, there is something neat going on in every part of the image. For something as chaotic ans this, your composition has achieved an amazing amount of structure. For me the most appealing part of this image is the contrast between the higher contrast whites, and the very subdued pastel colors in the rest of the image. These type of images are very hard to critique, but there is something about this image that just plain works for me. Nicely done Bonnie.

Bonnie, I’ve not tried this effect. If you don’t mind can you tell us what you “shot through?” Thank you.

Thanks, @Igor_Doncov , @John_Williams, @linda_mellor, and @Ed_McGuirk.

For this (and actually for all my work), I usually have a vague idea of what I want, but no firm previsualizaiton of the end result. For this kind of shoot through, I’ll just find a promising spot and look around (through the viewfinder) for compositions.

This was a patch of willows. I was standing flush up against the front-most stems (the lens hood was touching the branches). Here is another shot, with some of the intermediate branches in focus. The first post is looking past these branches (I think).

1 Like

Oh, Bonnie - this is just the kind of image that appeals to my sense of wonder for how natural elements can be portrayed through imaginative photography. I like the selective, soft focus, the indistinct edges, and the refraction of light caused by the rays bending around objects in front of the lens. I just love this effect because it is so unusual, it engages viewers to interpret the image for themselves, and almost no one is doing it. Thank you for sharing it here.

Don’t be surprised to see posts of mine in the future of a similar style!

If you don’t mind, what have been some lessons you’ve learned in creating these kinds of images?

Thanks, Matt, I’m glad you’re enjoying this. As far as what I’ve learned - well, now I have to think about what works. Here goes:

• Use an open aperture, although it doesn’t have to be extreme (e.g., f/1.8). The lens I’m using only opens up to f/6.3 when zoomed out.

• Use a long lens. I’m using a 100-400mm, usually zoomed out to more than 200mm. Although I suppose this depends on the size of the plants.

• I think shooting-through works better with finer (smaller diameter) branches and stems. You get that hazy look without branches totally blocking the things beyond. I haven’t done this without shooting through branches close to the lens, but maybe that would work (I’ll have to experiment with that idea).

• If you want the bokeh balls, the scene should be backlit to a degree and have small, bright features. These are willow buds, but water drops work well, too (think dewy grass).

• I look around through the viewfinder while hand holding to find a potential scene. Then, I put the camera on the tripod to fine tune the composition.

I’m looking forward to your efforts!

3 Likes

Bonnie, this is nicely inviting and dreamy. The “front focus” view look good in it’s own (different) way.

1 Like

Thanks so much, Bonnie. I appreciate the thoughtful response.

You were right @John_Williams - I printed, framed, and delivered this today to a small local gallery for next months show (abstracts was the theme), and it sold before it was even hung in the show. :wink: :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

That’s awesome. Congratulations!

What a soft, relaxing photo. Lovely pastel colors and beautiful bokeh. The composition is pleasing with the three slightly curving, almost vertidal main branches and swooping curves branching out from them. Really lovely.

1 Like