Nature's Sparkler

Image Description

I spotted this scene from our campsite when the sun was filter through the trees and seemed to make it glow. Over the two weeks we were there, I captured shots of it from many perspectives, even wading into the icy stream with the tripod to get a closser shot,. That is where I capture this , my favorite version.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.

• Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.

• Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.

• Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I wish I had captured a little more of the greenery that was surrounding the base of this stalk and have also played with changing the color tones of the image.

Technical Details

Exposure: F/11 - 1/200 sec - ISO 200
Processed in Camera Raw and Photoshop

Hi Connie,

I can see what you’re trying to do here as those seed heads are fascinating. I think, as you mention, that the photograph could either be taken a bit wider to include more interest, or should be cropped a bit closer to concentrate on the seed head (and possibly the green plant to the right).

One of the main problems, for me at least, is that the plant runs along the boundary of the tree and the foliage in the background and hence doesn’t stand out cleanly. I might have placed the seed head against the out of focus darkness of the tree barnk instead? I attach a rough mock up

Hi Connie, welcome to Flora! This is such an interesting example of a flower gone to seed. Congrats on seeing it in the first place. So many of these go unnoticed even though they have their own beauty and individuality. That said I think a step to the left might have helped this be even more striking. Often when I see a flower in the undergrowth I try to find something that will help isolate it and a big tree is a good way to do it. So I think placing this 1/2 on the green and 1/2 on the tree is an interesting choice. As you have it a crop would help us concentrate on its intricacy and detail. Keep 'em coming!