Next Stop...

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Here is a scene I had been eyeing all winter long, and I finally got the conditions I was hoping for on the last snowfall of the winter season. I wanted the blanket of snow to just cover certain parts of the scene while still leaving the details of the tracks. I tried out a few different lens options here as well…I started with the wide angle to elongate the tracks in the foreground, but found that the telephoto best captured the distant mountains with its compression. Looking forward to photographing this location in other seasons as well!

My own critiques:
The foresty nature of these overgrown tracks leaves the scene a little chaotic and busy. Also, I was contemplating adding some gausian blur to make it a bit more ethereal but haven’t tried that out yet.

Specific Feedback

Any and all feedback is welcome!

Technical Details

Taken with Fuji X-T30
XC 50-230 Lens at 60mm
ISO 80
f/8
1/60 sec
3 images focus stacked

I like the balance here between the amount of the frame occupied by the tracks and the landscape. I’m a little surprised I don’t find the FG plants (I guess calling them weeds is no longer PC) distracting – maybe because the trees command attention. I like the tonalities and the mysterious BG – well done! Worth more visits.

Jonathan,

I quite like this. Great job on the composition - classic “lead-in” with the tracks pulling you in.

Think this is more than just a classic composition with the tracks - but the story of this with the “overgrowth” and idea that these tracks haven’t been used in a while (not to mention the snow covering the rails…) :wink:

The dusting of snow of course really adds to the image and story as well. My mind is wishing for, and imagining a steam engine just appearing in the scene in the distance… that would be something!

Only minor nit/suggestion for me would be to clone out the lone piece of grass coming up from the bottom. Not a big deal, but easily taken out.

Thanks for sharing!

Lon

This is delightful, Jonathan. It’s always hard to beat a very simple theme done nicely. This has a wonderful mood and some great elements. The opposing diagonals of the two leaning power poles and the two leaning trees works perfectly. The dark, barren trees, the gray sky, and the snow communicates such a strong story and is very emotive. Excellent image and processing!