Oak Creek Reflection

I’m new to this site and already love it. I photograph mostly in nature but I’m trying different compositions and techniques to stay out of my box. I love abstract photography and art in general but feel the most passion in nature. So this was an attempt to combine them all. I am seeking honest feedback since my family/friends are not the most unbiased source. Any area of critique is welcome…I have a lot to learn. Shot with Canon 80D 135mm, F/11, 1/100sec.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Jill, welcome to NPN, this is an excellent first post !!! I’m looking forward to seeing more of your work here.

Abstract images tend to be very personal and subjective in nature, and everyone reacts to them differently. For me, this image is very successful on a number of levels. You have some strong repeating lines (including a diagonal) that work well together. The shutter speed you used captured some very intriguing ripples in the water. And then we have what we at NPN call a "Mind Bender " ie the stones showing through more strongly in the trunk reflections. These stones kind of make you stop and think about what you are looking at. This visibility of the stones is caused by having differing levels of reflection vs. refraction across the surface of the water.

My only suggestion is that you post this image at a larger size, so that the viewer can better enjoy the smaller details in the ripples. You can size images up to 1600px on the long side. You can actually edit your original post to delete your original image upload, and replace it with one sized larger.

Thank you so much…I love working with reflections. I’m still learning about image sizing. I re-posted…hope I did it right!

Welcome to NPN Jill! Glad to have you here.

What a wonderful first post! I pretty much love everything about this. The concept and vision of the reflection is wonderful. Agree with most everything Ed mentions, especially the rocks coming through - Not sure if you made some decisions or use of a polarizer - but the results are just right in terms of the reflection.

I have no nits or suggestions really. Exposure, colors and processing are spot on. If I had to get real nitpicky, I would burn down or otherwise reduce the presence of the brighter, pale grass along the top right edge. Yeah, pretty darn minor at that.

If I had to guess, sycamore trees?

Welcome aboard. Looking forward to more images and your participation.

Lon

Thanks Lon…It is a little heavy in that corner and I need practice with post editing…Haha. They are birch trees. I live in Phoenix and took a road trip to Sedona where this was taken. Trees in general are a refreshing sight.

Jill, the re-posted size looks much better, and allows the viewer to better enjoy seeing some of the small details in the ripples.

1 Like

Jill, what a nice image to start with. Here on NPN you are on the right adres to learn. I speak from experience .

1 Like

Jill, welcome aboard and a really excellent first post. It is a bit of a mind bender, especially the rocks coming through in the trunk reflections. Nothing to add technically, looks good. I look forward to seeing more of your work and reading your insights into the work of others.

1 Like

First off welcome to NPN, Jill. This is a lovely first post and I hope to see more of your images in the future. This is a very impressionistic image and I love the way the rocks show through in tree trunk reflections. The color palette works rather nicely as does the triangle created with the diagonals of the trees.

1 Like

Welcome, Jill. This is super! All the little squiggly reflections make a nice texture between the main branches. Very cool.

Lovely reflection abstract, combining all your loves. I really like the bending main trunk, the squiggles in the water, the rocks showing through and the general feeling.

Welcome to NPN Jill, and wonderful first post. I think you will really grow to love NPN. You can both learn new stuff along with sharing your knowledge with others. I’ve been here for about 15 years now and still love it.

If I had come upon this scene I would have immediately grabbed my polarizer. After seeing your image, doing that would have been the completely wrong thing to do. You have captured a magical scene here. The reflected blues contrast so beautifully with the earth tones and really make this special. Also, I’m still able to see the rocks under the reflection. The only nit I have is that the grass or grass reflection is a bit intrusive. I downloaded it and cropped a little from the top and left side. Take a peek and you can decide which you prefer.

Once again, Great shot & welcome!