Occult Face 1 - "In the Inferno"

This is one of a series of what I call Occult Faces that I discovered when processing some driftwood images. The location is shaded and moist for most of the year, fostering a fine environment for lichen and such. I hope you enjoy the whimsy.

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Canon 5DIII with 24-105 at 105mm

Tight crop of a subject .7 meters away

Is this a composite? No

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ā€˜igā€™ and leave your Instagram username below.
3 Likes

Wonderful Dick. It is quite lyrical. Love the gradation of browns amongst the green moss(?). Nicely seen.

Wow!! What an amazing face!! The wood textures and the moss/lichen/whatever are incredible!

Dick, thatā€™s quite the distorted smile. The mix of wood and lichen have an interesting glow. If thereā€™s nothing ā€œbadā€ there, I wonder about sliding the crop just a tad to the right as I find myself trying to see if the contour beside the right eye gets completed.

Very ghoulish! The wavy lines across the face remind me of a somewhat famous painting or drawing by someone whose name I canā€™t rememberā€¦the figureā€™s hands are up to both sides of the face and face is kind of melting.
Amazing, the images hidden in inanimate objects!

Edvard Munch (Norway) - The Scream

1 Like

Yes, thatā€™s the one. Thanks!

This is amazing, Dick! The face is very plain to see and I am loving the glow to this intimate scene. You mention occult faces, but for some reason I find this very inviting. I guess because of the graceful lines along with the color combination. Great eye to spot this.

Thanks Ed. Actually I meant occult inthe sense of being hidden. Hidden in the grain of a larger driftwood image. Funny you mentioned glow, as this is the first time I applied a glamor glow tool.