Ocean Boardwalk

We frequently visit Monterey Bay. I hadn’t been out very far from town in a while, so my family and I decided to take a scenic drive. When I saw the boardwalk, a composition immediately popped into my head. Luckily, I had my dreaded tripod in the back of the car so that I could do a long exposure. I sat down on the boardwalk and setup my camera. The clouds were wonderful that day and I think help the composition a lot.

Specific Feedback Requested

It is a long exposure, but the waves are so small in the picture, can anyone even tell? Also, is the vignette too strong? At the time I processed this, I was big into strong vignettes. I have since backed off and either don’t do them or make them more subtle.

Technical Details

Leica M10 Monochrom. f/16, 1.5 sec, ISO 400. Leica Summicron 35mm lens. Processed using LR, Silver Efex Pro, PS.

1 Like

Hi, David. This is a beautiful and serene image. Were the clouds rolling in or is that the result of the strong vignette you mentioned? The vignette could be the reason for my thinking that way. With more light in the center by the ocean, I wonder if a radial filter darkening the sand dunes on both sides of the boardwalk would be more effective. If not on both sides, at least on the right side. I think it would help highlighting the strong leading lines on the boardwalk. I also love the depth portrayed in the image. It makes the boardwalk appear very long. Beautiful all the way.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback Egidio. I worked on this image a while ago, so I can’t quite remember the various iterations it went through, but I’m pretty sure I had those sides of the boardwalk a bit darker but I decided to lighten them up for whatever reason. Perhaps I will revisit this one and take a go with your suggestions and a much more subtle vignette.

1 Like