Old stump in the grove

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Saw this scene in the trees in Funks Grove, IL. Wanted to isolate the stump from the surrounding trees, with focus on the leaves on the stump.

Any pertinent technical details: Canon EOS R, Tamron 18-400mm @ 209mm,

1/400 @ F-6.3 ISO 400, HH

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

John, I like the spotlighting of the stump here. There’s just enough texture in the background to keep it interesting. What I would suggest is to crop out the bright branch up top, and crop the right somewhere in the black foreground tree. The bright vegetation to the right of that tree distracts from the main show.

John,

Wow, the larger view really comes to life when opening. Of course this is quite dark, but also quite effective and like Craig mentions, there is just enough texture (and lightness) to let the background help define and frame the light hitting the stump and leaves.

I’m also unsure about the lighted twig up top. Not sure if you left that in there on purpose? It’s one of those things that might be interesting to have included, if there was more of it, or something, but as presented I think it would be better cloned out (I think better than cropping because you would lose some space above the stump.)

Well seen, I like it!

Lon