One little sandpiper and I

Okay, it’s a plover, but I couldn’t resist the title. How do you identify a Snowy Plover? Look for the colored leg bands.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Yeah, its a bit soft, but I liked the pose and setting.

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 7DII; Sigma 150-600 at 600 mm; 1/1000 at f6.3; +1/3 EV; ISO 200

1 Like

I would agree with your own self assessment. The comp is nice, as is the head turn with catchlight. I’ve not seen one of these banded.

1 Like

Maybe it’s an Oregon thing. There’s a very active program of banding . I’m not sure I’ve ever seen one that wasn’t banded-makes for a quick ID. Thanks for commenting.

I love this shot, Allen. The way he is looking back at you really makes for a nice pose, giving us a chance to enjoy the pretty plumage on his back. The low position made for a nice oof BG. Well done.

1 Like

Softness aside, I also love this composition. The look-back pose is definitely my favorite and you have caught it in the perfect place in the sand. The wet part of the sand makes the image looks very playful.

1 Like

Very nice, Allen. I agree that the head is a trifle soft. Other than that, I love the composition and techs. I believe the bands are because the Oregon/Washington sand beaches are a breeding area and they’re a species in trouble around here. Too much use of the beaches for inappropriate activities.

1 Like

I generally agree with the consensus. I do like the pose very much and the environment is wonderful.

1 Like

Hi Allen
Photographing Plovers on the beach can only been summer is coming. I like the head tilt and plumage detail. The focus point looks to be line up with the red tag. Happy hunting.
Peter

1 Like

Love the low shooting angle and setting. Snowy plovers sure are cute. I think I’d burn down the brighter water in the FG. Looking forward to more.

1 Like