Oregon Sea Stacks in IR

Image Description

Cannon Beach Sea Stacks (The Needles), in Infrared

I don’t know if this will be anyone’s cup of tea, but this is a long exposure from Cannon Beach with an Infrared filter. It is a two minute exposure because the camera was not modified. Still, I like how it turned out.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

While it is IR, there’s not a lot of IR effect, except on the seaweed on the rocks. Does it work?

Technical Details

56mm, 120 sec @ f/16, ISO 100, tripod, 720nm IR filter.

2 Likes

David, I do also very much. Many times IR can look way to over bleached for my liking. This has an in between IR & B-W feel to it… :sunglasses:
There are folks that convert small digital cameras for the IR purpose only. Steve O’nions from the UK has one and he tries not to overdue the look but it’s hard with a dedicated unit to minimize the bleached out look… :thinking:

David,

I never would have guessed IR without the little clue of the rocks and seaweed. This is fantastic! This has a lot going for it including the soft texture in the clouds. Nice tonal range, texture and detail in the rocks. And for me, I’m LOVING the smoothed out reflection!! In fact, is there more? That glassy reflection is killer.

The contrast is wonderful and spot on; your processing in general is fabulous.

No nits or suggestions. Awesome!

Lon

Hi David,
what a wonderful composition. I love the effect of the long exposure.

I never experimented with IR. So if you didn’t mention it, I would have thought it was a normal black-and-white conversion.

I love the birds sitting on the rocks. They must have been very patient as they posed for you for two minutes. Well done!

@Paul_Breitkreuz, @Lon_Overacker, and @Jens_Ober thank you for the kind comments. I’m so glad you like the image. Much appreciated.

Lon, I do think I have a wider view that takes in more of the reflection. Will try to dig that up and post it here.

Thanks again,
David

Works beautifully for me, David. I never would have guessed this was IR without you pointing out the seaweed. The long exposure has created a peaceful vibe which I find very inviting. This has a wide range of tones and I particularly like those streaking clouds. No suggestions from me.

Very Cool. Works great in Black and White… Maybe a slight vignette … looks great as it is.

Hi David! I really like this image. Like the other commenters, I would not have realized this was an IR image had you not mentioned it. The more subtle effect of the IR filter works very well for this image. Like Jens, I’m very impressed with the patience shown by the birds. Most of them are fairly sharp in spite of the 2 minute exposure.

I, too, like the just right amount of IR effect and the long exposure. Cormorants tend t sit still for fairly long periods, but 2 minutes? Amazing. Small nit: top of tall sea stack has a bit of strange look. Processing or something else?

@Ed_Lowe, @Gill_Vanderlip, @Steve_Kennedy, and @Jim_Gavin thanks for the kind comments, much appreciated.
Jim, the top of that stack is blurred due to this moving Cormorants. I guess I could clone them out. :slightly_smiling_face:

This works really well for me, David. Like the others, I never would have guessed IR. I also didn’t know you could just attach a filter to get the IR look. It’s certainly not as over the top as most IR images so I like it. The sky and the water is superbly rendered. Love he detail as well. This is a very small nit but I feel like the image needs to slide to the left a little bit. What I mean is that the right side is busy and the left side doesn’t have much going on over there. Maybe a crop off the left side would help. Overall though, I love the image. Beautifully conceived.

Some other people might have already commented on this, but since you photographed this in very soft, even lighting, I would play with the luminosity a bit more, darkening certain sections and brightening others so you can get some more separation. It feels a bit flat right now but there are a lot of subtle shades and tones that you can accentuate more and spread apart from one another, especially since you have converted it to black and white. I am mainly referring to the water and the sky, I think the sea stacks are already contrasty enough.

Different and wonderful! It really grabs my attention – I love it when I look at an image and can’t quite put my finger on what is unusual about it. Of course, the strong composition and wonderful long SS got my attention in the first place. IR was a great idea here. I would also love to see more of the FG – I’m a sucker for shimmery water. I think @David_Haynes has a good idea about a slight crop from the left. Would be well worth some cloning of the moving birds on the top of the rock. The ones that remained still elsewhere are a cool feature for a long SS shot.

David, Thanks. With that knowledge, I think you should leave it as is. Jim

1 Like

Lot’s of good comments above, and I too wouldn’t have realized IR. I’ll only add that I like the polished/mirror like appearance of the water.

1 Like