Ouch!

I’m not sure how the birds do it, but this Mockingbird didn’t seem to be bothered by all those spines around it. I believe this is Walking Stick Cholla, but I don’t know my cacti and most of the on-line resources I found were related to the little things you grow in a pot.

If I recall correctly, this was taken at Tucson Mountain Park near the campground, though it might have been in Saguaro National Park.

Specific Feedback Requested

I know this is way busy for a bird photograph, but that’s not primarily what it’s about. Any suggestions on how to emphasize the Cholla without making the stuff behind it stand out too much would be appreciated.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
7DII, EF500 f/4 ISL + 1.4 TC, probably hand held. f/7.1, 1/1250, iso 400, aperture priority. Processed today in PS and LR CC. Slight crop. Original photographed March 14, 2015.

As you point out, busy is what this image is primarily about and the bird secondary. To demonstrate where this bird lives it is necessary that it be busy. Well done. I have no idea what kind of cactus other than it does look like a cholla.

Very interesting bird image indeed Dennis! Great eye catching it because it certainly does blend in with the cactus. The lighting angle seems perfect for your composition, lighting the birds side facing the camera. I too would be interested in others feedback on how to make the bird stand out a bit more.

Dennis, I think this works well as presented because finding the bird takes a bit of effort. The “business” and color match work well. One way to reduce the “background” would be to crop about 20% off the rhs. I’m guessing that you’ve already dodged the bird a bit. If you wanted to make it more challenging to view, you could burn the bird a touch…