Over the ledge

I was enjoying the warm water in early July. We had a fair amount of rain this July and there was more water than normal for this time of year. I put on my waterproof sandals and waded out in the river which is only about 2 feed deep at this point. Luckily the bottom is fairly flat so you can keep on your feet. I occasionally would need to dry of the lens when random drops would hit the front element. My early post of a rock under cedars is just to the left of this composition.Earlier post

I though I might post this one for @Jim_McGovern for some in your face water flow.

Specific Feedback Requested

Feedback on composition and water flow (shutter speed) along with anything else is welcomed. I typically work with various shutter speeds when photographing water and a I have numerous images to pick from. I liked the texture in this one in particular.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
f16, 1/4 second, ISO 100, 16-35mm lens at 16mm on full frame camera.

@bryannelsonca

Hey @bryannelsonca I love your processing of this image, the trees in the background in particular, have me exploring deeper into the scene. You probably selected the best shutter speed, obviously with out seeing the others, but this one has detail in the water without it being distracting. The water coming down right at you is an interesting perspective that we don’t experience on a daily basis, so that provides some immediate impact. I will say, for me personally, I’m left wanting to explore the trees more. I wonder if there would be a way to have the best of both worlds with a pano of some sort or giving away about 1/4 of the bottom to add more interest in the trees at the back. Overall though, this is lovely!

1 Like

Lovely, Bryan! I think the composition here is very very enjoyable. Do you think it need just a tiny tad CW rotation? The only other thing that I think could add to the image is perhaps a touch more texture contrast on the brightest highlight but that’s really a nit.

1 Like

What a great shot! Now THAT’s some in your face water! When I opened it up, I heard myself say…“oh my!”. This is an attention grabber for sure.

With that said, I’m impressed with the texture of the water. One of my “happy places” is being around running water like this and I can hear the rapid with clarity based on this image!

Expertly done and wouldn’t change a thing. Thanks for sharing!!!

Spectacular shot Bryan, it has tremendous in your face impact. Given how high the water flow was, and how many directions the water was flowing, this is one of the best looking long exposure water texture images I have seen in a while. It is amazing how nice the texture is in various parts of the water, it’s also particularly impressive given that you achieved this in one exposure. Excellent work.

PS - I suspect this would look really good in B&W as well as in color.

Great image Bryan. Makes me feel like I am going to be swept away. I like your composition and chosen shutter speed.

Bryan,
Great POV here and I love the in your face water flow you captured in this scene. It puts the viewer right there with you. I particularly like the way the water flow fans out across the entire image. Great job on this.