Overcast morning near my feeder

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

Any thoughts on processing or especially cropping. The branch on the right that goes out of the frame is distracting.

Creative direction

No particular vision this morning - just took advantage of the opportunity to take the photo.

Specific Feedback

Mostly interested in opinion about the need for distraction removal.

Technical Details

Z6ii cropped sensor mode
Sigma 150-600 contemporary with 1.4 TC (850mm)
ISO 500
1/250 sec
Minor color adjustments and cropping in LRC
Sharpening and noise reduction in Topaz Photo AI

Description

photographing rufous hummingbirds in my yard when two of these flew into a nearby tree. A great spot of color on a gray morning.

Hi Dan, Nice goldfinch photo. I don’t mind the branch on the right, I think it adds some balance to the image. I like the background, especially the area on the right. You might see if the highlights on the breast can be brought down some. You also might play around with a more vertical crop, removing some from the left and some from the right, but I wouldn’t clone out the branch.

Thanks, Allen. I am amazed at how helpful this site is for someone like me who is just learning to do bird photography. I will reprocess later today.

Hi Dan: I agree with Allen that a more vertical composition would suit this image admirably. Goldfinches can be tough to photograph. In the old days when I was using aperture priority, I would dial in -2/3 stop of compensation for them because that yellow blows out so easily. With mirrorless, I just keep the histogram visible in the viewfinder and make sure they’re not blown. It does look as if the focus might be on the branch instead of the bird’s eye. I don’t know if that model has bird eye Autofocus, but if it does, I’d turn it on.

I used that lens with a Canon for years and I loved it, but I’ll admit I never had any luck combining it with a teleconverter (either Sigma or Canon), but it seems to work with your system.

Looking at your shooting specs, I think you could go with a higher iso and therefore a higher shutter speed. You don’t list your f-stop.

Yes, with the TC the f-stop on this shot was f/9.0