Pacman Convention

When I came across this pond filled with lily pads, I was struck by how they looked like a a bunch of Pac Man characters, all trying to gobble each other up. And now I simply cannot get the Pac Man munching music out of my head. And I’ll bet you won’t be able to either :laughing:

Specific Feedback Requested

any critique or comments are welcome

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 5D MK4, Canon 70-200mm f4 lens, at 126mm, ISO 200

Multiple shots for depth of field, focus stacked using Helicon Focus software.

4 Likes

What a wonderful capture! Gorgeous greens and the water drops are outstanding. The focus stacking was a great idea and a whole bunch of extra points for the title!

I’m a little ashamed to say that I was a PacMan champion back in the day…

Anyway, this is an awesome shot. I particularly love the dark waters. It really sets up a natural contrast that works so well. Nice work with the Focus Stacking too.

“Munch, munch, munch”

1 Like

Haha! I saw the image before I read the title and now, after reading the title, it doesn’t seem as serene and peaceful anymore! :smile: When I was a kid I loved Pac-Man! And I thought the song ‘Pac-Man Fever’ was really cool, so thanks a lot for making that go through my mind! :grimacing: I do really like the lighting and water droplets on the Pac-Mans, oh, I mean lily pads!

Yes, I see the Pac-Mans now that you mention it. I think this ability to make these types of connections can be a valuable tool in composition. I also like the water drops on some of the leaves. Some macro potential their if you could get close enough.

Ed,
I had to chuckle when I read the title as it certainly does look like a Pacman convention. The water drops are a huge plus, but what really makes the image for me is that red toned pad you placed toward the center of the frame as it gives me a nice place for my eye to rest. Great job on the stack and the greens are lovely as well as the black of the water. Beautifully done!

1 Like

Love the title. The few lilypads that have a hue other than green add a nice bit of contrast and interest to my eye. Agree with comments about the water drops also adding something special to the image.

I like the colors in this image. The rain drops are always a nice addition to such pads.

Ed ,A great experience as you have an eye for it !!! The longer I look ,the more I like it.

This is beautiful.
It stuck me the negative space in here.
One got to love all those water drops.
When you see the image bigger, on the bottom edge there is a (very) small green point I would crop out.

@Diane_Miller @Ben_van_der_Sande @joaoquintela @Vanessa_Hill @Tony_Kuyper @DeanRoyer @Ed_Lowe @Igor_Doncov @David_Bostock

thank you all for your comments, I appreciate hearing your thoughts.

David Bostock, even a Pac Man champion such as yourself couldn’t win against this hungry horde !!

I did use a polarizer to remove glare, but the water is so dark because it had a lot of tannins in it. It’s a pond thats close to moving to the bog stage I think.

Joao, you have sharp eyes, it’s an easy fix that I will make, thanks.

My favorite section is the three Pacmen munching each other in the bottom center.

I think the pacman association is fun, but it somewhat take focus from that this is a very good image that is very beautiful with the shapes, colors and water drops standing out aginst the dark water.

Fantastic find an image Ed. I am enjoying the shapes, color, and light.

Incredibly fun and well fitting title Ed. I will never be able to look at lily pads again and not think of Pacman. I don’t know if I’ve ever seen this many leaves without a flower. Well done. The colors are just spot on, the bright leaf in the middle draws the eye right into the scene, and the depth of field with the focus stacking is terrific. The rain drops take it all over the top.

Ed, This is a wonderful image and I loved how you described it…perfect! Excellent work!