Palouse in Waiting

Image Description

Another from recent visit. Cold, windy, overcast and beautiful.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I wanted to show early spring from Steptoe and how it differs from later when most photos are taken. Is it too light? Need some selective darkening? Previous comments re: recent posts from here indicate more contrast and saturation.

Technical Details

canon 7DMKII; 100/400 @100; 8.0; 1/1600th;640ISO; spot; cloudy; handheld.

Hi, Jim. How interesting it is what nature creates! You have captured a real scene with strong abstract tones. The curves and lines give your image enough points to keep a viewer’s eyes exploring the image. The weather also seems to have helped in keeping the colors homogeneous.

On to the specific feedback you requested. I think the gradual color changes provide good contrast to my eyes. I can see the nuances in the terrain changes and elevation. So, the image is very dynamic. As for saturation, to show your intention to portray early spring, I would have bumped the saturation and luminosity of the greens present in the image just a bit. I can see some faded green on the lower third of the image that might benefit from a bit more saturation. The same goes for the green band across the diagonal on the top section of the image.

If I may step a bit outside your requested feedback, had I done this edit, I would have eliminated the small tree section on the URC to take away any distractions a viewer’s eye might find in that direction. The lower section of the image does not show any circular lines. Some might think that a tighter crop from the bottom up could make the composition stronger. If I were cropping the bottom portion, I would only go as far as the darker lines show. I do love that small hint of green that appears right above that section before the circular lines.

What a beautiful region this is. Your photo does bring up what spring will look like in that area.

Egidio, Thanks. I made a couple changes but not sure if this is what you suggest. I am a little reticent about cropping so much of the bottom, but it does look good. Thanks.

Jim, you read my note accurately. I would definitely not crop any more than you did. Other viewers may not like my suggestion. After all, it’s all a matter of personal taste when it comes to minor details. I think it made a big difference cloning out the trees on the URC and adding more green at the bottom.

If you want, one nice feature of NPN is that you can post edits side by side. It helps everyone to see and compare the various edits instead of having to scroll up and down. All you need to do is to edit your original submission. I’ll send you a private note with the steps. I’ll leave it up to you whether you want to try and do it.

Hi Jim! I love the Palouse and am anxious to get back there. It’s been several years.

This is a very nice comp. I love the curves you captured. I was always fascinated by the way the plow lines follow the contours of the hills. It will be interesting to see this same scene when the crop is green. It’s cool you have 4 “seasons” of the crops - newly plowed field, green and growing field, recently harvested field, and a fallow section. Very cool!

I like that you cloned out the small tree line in the URC. The crop from the bottom really accentuates the curves, and I agree with your concern. I don’t think I would have cropped quite as much off the bottom.

Thought I got side-by-side post figured out, but not so. That’s why 2 posts the same.

Jim, the swirls in the middle ground really stand out, with the reduced textures above and below setting them off very will. The angles strip of green add well, also. Yes, it’s easy to see why you might want to crop some off the bottom. That crop leads me to wonder about a two shot pano, depending on what was to the left and/or right.

You do have it side by side now. In other words, when we click on the first image, we can see the arrow on the right side indicating there is a follow-up image. I like having the images showing up side by side. It is a lot more evident to see what edits you did after the first photo without having to scroll up and down through the thread. Since you have added a rework, you might consider telling viewers of that. You can accomplish that easily by editing the title of the image. Just click on the pencil after your post caption, “Palouse in Waiting.” Then, you can enter (+Rework) and click save. It’ll show up as “Palouse in Waiting (+Rework).”

The new crop brings up the curves more pronounced. Well done!

@EgĂ­dio_LeitĂŁo @Steve_Kennedy @Mark_Seaver Thank you for the helpful information and suggestions. If I can, I plan to return in a couple weeks to see what some sun and rain have done to change the appearance.

1 Like