Peak Velocity

Most places call 100+ mph winds a hurricane. In Valdez, Alaska we call it January. This is the mountain peaks directly above the town on a fine sunny day.

Sony DSC-R1, ISO-160, f/8.0, 1/1000, hand held.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Good grief Gary, makes our little 40mph gust look like fairy dust. Gorgeous photo. Can’t imagine being in it. Also like the hint of blue sky, helps to give the scene context. Great photo.

Gary: I love seeing conditions like this and can imagine the sights and sounds. Just enough detail in the mountainside to give it context. Well seen and captured. >=))>

I really like the high key look that you have here. While this could easily been seen as waves during a hurricane, I much prefer January in Alaska. Terrific image.

Gary, the blowing snow and just enough mountains and sky to place the scene work great here. Even without knowing the windspeed, this view is dramatic, the wind speed makes it amazing…wouldn’t want to be a mountain climber up there…