PS: One Mask - Multiple Adjustments

I’m wondering if it’s possible to create a mask and then use it repeatedly for several adjustment layers. My workflow is to make a selection, create it’s mask, and then add an adjustment layer from that mask. Then the process is repeated.

I find that the mask needs to be modified manually because the selection is never perfect. One mask, however, needs multiple adjustments and recreating the mask for each one is tiresome.

So how is this done in photoshop?

I would use grouping in this situation. You can group multiple adjustment layers and apply the mask on the group level.

1 Like

Adhika, could you please give me more specific directions. At this point I can’t imagine how this would be done.

There are a couple ways to do that, @Igor. One way is if you have the mask on a layer already, right click on the mask box and choose “add mask to selection”; then, make your next adjustment layer, such as a curve, and the mask will be put onto it. Or, do the right click thing, then go to the menu “Select”, then “Save Selection”; give it a name, then you can reload it any time from the “Select” menu (“Load Selection”).

2 Likes

Igor, I do this quite often. Here’s how…

1. In the Layers panel select the mask.
  2. In the Properties panel, click the dotted rectangle icon at the bottom. This loads the selection from the mask.
  3. In the Layers panel, click the Add New Fill or Adjustment Layer icon.
  4. Select the Adjustment layer you want.
  5. Voila’! The new adjustment layer is created with the layer mask attached.
    –P
1 Like

Perfect! Thank you Preston, and Bonnie and Adhika. This worked well for me and is exactly what I was looking for. I will be referencing these instructions until they become second nature to me.

This will save a ton of work for me.

Great idea, Bonnie. I forgot about this. Thanks for sharing it. :+1:
-P

1 Like

You can also just copy a mask from one layer to another. Create your first mask, do any adjustments you want. Then when you need it for another adjustment layer, hold Alt / Option and just drag the mask from one layer to another. That will copy the mask. If you don’t hold Alt / Option the mask will be moved rather than copied.

Igor,

I do the same as Bonnie. She already explained how including saving a selection, so I won’t repeat.

I think @Adhika_Lie’s solution is the most elegant and what you’re really looking for. Just select the adjustment layers that you want the same mask for and click the create new group button and add a layer mask to the group, now you have one layer mask for all those adjustment layers that you can make refinements to and not worry about updating multiple masks.

3 Likes

I guess there’s more than one way to skin a cat.

Yech! Where did that expression come from anyway?

1 Like

You can also store your mask in the channels pane. Make a selection of the mask and then press the rectangle with the circle in the middle (save selection and channel) and it will create a new alpha channel with the mask. When you want to use it just press command+click on the alpha channel and loads the mask as a selection.

You can also command+click on the mask that you want and that loads it as a selection and the add you new adjustment and the selection will be applied as the mask.

@David_Kingham beats me to it. Lumenzia also has a one click action to group and make a mask which I find pretty useful.

1 Like