Quiet Morning

This is a shot I made a couple of weeks ago now. We have had lots of foggy mornings and I love shooting in the fog. It changes a scene into something special for me and I especially enjoy the quiet mood it usually gives a scene. It takes a scene you might not normally shoot and can change it into something wonderful.
Any thoughts or suggestions welcome.
Canon 5DMk4, 24-105 f/4 @ 90mm, iso 400, f/8, 1/320. no filters.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Lovely image, Nick! This really has a dreamy feel to it and that light is quite nice. I especially like the framing and composition as well. There is a great depth to this shot that makes you want to follow the path.

Being super nit picky, I would consider cloning out those tiny highlights along the paths edge, toward the bottom of the frame. My eye keeps going to them.

Congrats on a wonderful shot!

This is gorgeous, Nick. I would clone out the bright sky spots upper right, but otherwise it looks great to me. A wonderful dreamy image with a fine painterly look.

Hi @Nick_Bristol great shot. Love the light and especially the mood of this image. @ChrisNoronhaPhoto and @Harley_Goldman have said it, besides what they pointed I have nothing to “critique”.

Thanks for sharing,
Cheers.

Chris, Harley Joao, Thanks guys! Appreciate getting your thoughts and the good suggestions. Glad you liked it too.

Nick, I agree with the previous suggestions. I would add you did a great job of capitalizing on the fog and making a wonderful scene from the ordinary!

Beautifully done, Nick. The fog, and the light really works well. I wondering if you considered cropping from the right to a point where the lower curving branch is eliminated. The branch grabs my eye, and also my eye searches for detail in the dark area. That’s minor, though: This is real nice.
-P

Alan and Preston, Thanks much for your comments! I did a little cloning as suggested and a small crop from the right on this one. Preston, I wasn’t sure if you were thinking cropping in enough to eliminate that whole lower dead branch or just that small branch that was just below it. I do like the one I left in on this crop version. The crop did eliminate some of the dark area on the right edge and the lowest small branch. I like this version better so thanks guys for the help.

1 Like

This is beautiful, mysterious and moody, Nick. The repost is a subtle but definite improvement. No nits.

Hey Dave, Appreciate that…Thank you! Nick

Nick,

Great to see you posting some images again. This is a beauty! Such great mood, atmosphere and mystery. I might have some nitpicks, but you took care of it all in the repost. Thanks for taking the time.

Lon

Nick, I love shooting fog, so this was right up my alley. This image could also be titled “Tunnel of Mystery”, I just want to go down that road to find what awaits…

The rework is an improvement to me, and like the rework as presented.

Lon & Ed, Thanks guys! I like the repost better as well and I appreciated the suggestions for improvement.
Ed, That would be a good title! Cheers!

This is wonderful Nick. Your repost with the crop is spot on though.

WOW, love this kind of mood, Nick. You marked this in the midwest. I used to live in the Twin Cities for a little bit and I didn’t recall it being this nice in terms of photography moods. I love the recrop. The branch closest to us in the top of the frame is a very nice frame to the entire image.

Evocative and moody Nick. I like it.

1 Like

Eva, Adhika and Ian, Thank you! Happy you enjoyed the mood of this picture.

Adhika, Thanks! I live in southwest Wisconsin in the WI. River Valley and we get lots of fog to work with. It is a very rural area and that helps a lot as well. Cheers!