Rainbow in the Trees

I was hiking in the forest and spotted this spider web probably at least 50 feet up strung between some of the highest pines!

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything

Technical Details

Nikon D3500, ISO 800, 300mm, f/6.3, 1/500, handheld of course, shooting straight up, cropped

1 Like

Lovely lighting and soft bokeh, Vanessa. Nicely seen.

1 Like

I love this to bits! What a find and I like how you found just the right light and background to bring it to life. It’s not quite as sharp as it could be, but in a smaller view it works just fine.

1 Like

Excellent positioning of the web with the background. Well done, Vanessa.

1 Like

Thanks @Kris_Smith . Yeah, the web was blowing around and I was trying to get the right angle for the background and to capture the colors in the web. I probably should have done a higher shutter, but then I would have needed a higher ISO. I took so many and couldn’t really tell if one turned out better than the other. I’m glad you like it!

Thanks @linda_mellor it was such a beautiful sight!

Thanks @David_Bostock ! It took a lot of tries and positioning to get the angle and colors just right. It was kind of breezy!

1 Like

Wonderful – it’s a floating fantasy!

1 Like

Well done! Excellent color, light, and pattern!

1 Like

Beautifully seen, and great use of light, Vanessa.

1 Like

Oh wow, Vanessa, I really love this. You did a great job finding the angle to get the “rainbow colors” in the web.

1 Like

What a great image Vanessa. The light and the green colors match the web very well. I like that you have placed the glowing green leaves inside the web (I guess that I myself instead have tried to let the glowing green surround the web which not would have been that great). A very minor comment, maybe you coukld find a tad more structure in the LRC.

1 Like

Wow! I really didn’t think this would get so many comments! But thank you so much for your feedback and thinking that it looks as pretty as I thought it did. @Diane_Miller @Shirley_Freeman @J_Fritz_Rumpf @David_Schoen . @Ola_Jovall , how should I get more structure in that corner? Would I add contrast? Or do I need to do something with highlights? Any input would be appreciated. Not that this is really a wall hanger! Maybe a photo book though…

1 Like

I don’t think the LRC is too dark or lacking in detail, but you could bring it up a little. It depends on the tools you have – a simple curve, masked to the darkest areas, would do – lightening the mid-darks a bit while holding enough contrast in the darkest darks. Nik Detail Extractor could be interesting. Contrast is a blunt instrument. You may not want to make darks darker. Curves lets you bring out detail with control of different tonalities.