Rebirth

We have a rather large wisteria in our garden that Chrissy prunes back severely when freezes kill off all the leaves. In the spring it starts putting out new leaves and flowers simultaneously. By the end of the summer the biomass it has grown is truly impressive. This is one of its first flowers growing directly out of the main trunk.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

Single capture here. I included the trunk and the new leaves to provide context. BG is a wood fence. Would like it to be a bit more OOF but does this DOF work?

Technical Details

Sony A7R3
Sony 70-200 G f2.8 OSS @ 200mm
ISO 400, 1/250 @ f8

3 Likes

Beautiful, soft light, wonderful comp, Bill. This is really attractive and relaxing. Well done.

1 Like

Lovely shot, Bill, and I like the deep vertical crop. I imagine it has a great scent too!

Hi Bill,

Personally, I think the DOF works well as presented but then again, I’m not sure if including the darker green OOF leaves at the top helps or not.
The joint in the fence where two fence boards meet seems to draw a little attention but I don’t think more blur would help in that regard, maybe copy another part of the fence and paste and blend it over the gap?

The only other element that might need some work is the dead looking leaves at the bottom tip of the wisteria, maybe clone that out?

I feel inspired by this, I want to get out and start capturing some flora, the only thing in bloom here at the moment is daffodils but it’s a start.

I really like the way the wisteria comes out of the trunk and then droops down the way it does, the DOF is perfect in my opinion and the lighting and colors are great, too!
The color of the fence and trunk really helps to make the wisteria stand out.

I done an edit where I copied and pasted over the fence joint and cloned out the dead leaves at the bottom. I was mostly just interested in seeing if I could do it and how it might improve the image overall.
An observation about covering the joint in the fence was how the BG part of the image doesn’t feel tilted to the left anymore.
Of course, it’s a great image to begin with so it didn’t need much IMHO.

Just something for you to think about. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Another masterful capture!! I love the lighting, subtle color variation and DOF. My preference would be for just a bit more breathing room, if other objects in the field of view allowed it.

I can see the reason to tilt the camera a bit to give a more dynamic composition but the obviously tilted fence is a distraction for me. Even with the joint cloned out, the tilt still shows in the grain. I think it would work just fine in a vertical orientation, if you have a version like that. In that case I don’t think the joint in the fence would be objectionable at all.