Red & Green

After a long break posting an image for critique . Taken couple clicks of beautiful flower at my home using my macro lens and wanted to get critical feedback from experts.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

Wanted to great feedback what I have done and what I could done better on this.

Technical Details

Canon 70 D with 100 mm macro lens. Auto ISO with aperture priority mode.Aperture = f/8, shutter speed = 1/160, ISO = 5000.

I do like the subject, and you’ve positioned it well in the frame, but it is quite soft. Looks like some of that may be motion blur, perhaps due to camera movement. A tripod would help, along with careful manual focussing and enough DoF to get all you want in focus in focus. If the blur is due to subject motion, a higher shutter speed will help.

What a neat looking flower. I think for a flower shaped like this, and shooting down on it maybe a square crop and center the flower would work well.

You didn’t say, but it sounds like maybe you took this handheld? I’m not sure if it was windy or hand shaking that makes it look almost like it is out of focus, but I think it might be camera or subject movement. Not sure. Doing macro work requires a real steady hand, (if handheld, but tripods are quite helpful) with plenty of light on the subject so that you can keep the ISO down. If on a tripod and the subject is still, you can even lower the shutter speed to help as well. I hope this helps.

The colors and composition do make for a lovely image, Thiraviyam. I agree with @Shirley_Freeman about the tripod. I have discovered that lately I cannot take any kind of macro photo with my tripod.

1 Like

Thiraviyam: A worthy subject and a fine comp. I might try to recover this image with some artistic filters that would mask the softness. >=))>

1 Like