Red-shouldered? Hawk

Digging back into the files from my California trip last month.

Early morning on my last day.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

I cropped this from the sides and took a touch off the bottom. The right crop left an orphan branch sticking in that I removed. Is the shadow on the hawk too distracting?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Too Busy?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

7DII, Sigma 150-600 C @ 516 mm, beanbag on car window, f/8, 1/1250, iso 1250, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 4656x3570. Taken at 7:43 am on February 7th.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

The morning light really brings out the hawk’s colors. Looks like a bad hair day. I don’t think it’s too busy-my eye is drawn to the hawk. I don’t mind the shadows, somehow seems appropriate for the time of day. The look in the eye is interesting, not quite sure how to characterize it, but it doesn’t look threatening. The eyes of the hawk I took at Sac NWR (and it may well be the same one) definitely was far from friendly.

Nice light on the hawk Dennis - It might be a little busier than I would like, but on the other hand, a good environmental story
To me the shadow of the twigs is distracting at least to some degree

Sweet light on the hawk, Dennis. He does look like he is having a bad hair day, as Allen mentioned. I am good with the busy look, as it is where he perched, and to get an opportunity to get a shot, that was what was offered to you. You might can calm the shadows down some, but I don’t think I would do too much, because with that lighting, shadows are expected to be a part of the scene. Nice details.

This looks a little similar to one you previously posted. I think the warm colors are quite pleasing. It is a tiny bit busy but the hawk is large enough to draw one’s attention. I’m a little distracted by the shadow. There are ways to remove it but it takes a lot of work.