Red Winged Blackbird liftoff

Description:

I made a day trip down to Bosque Del Apache NWR a couple of days ago. It is a VERY different place in May than during the winter months when most people visit. Still some great opportunities to see and photograph birds and other wildlife.

This Red Winged kept coming back to the same perch so I decided to set up and hope to capture a liftoff. Many, many failed attempts, but this time he lifted at a nice angle for me and I was able to capture a nice pose. Olympus Pro Capture is simply amazing to help with these really fast moments.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Is this a composite? No

Olympus EM1-X
300mm f/4 with 1.4x TC
1/5000, f/5.6, ISO 1000
Handheld

Processed in DXO Pure RAW, LR, and PS.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

keithcbauer

4 Likes

Beautiful image, Keith! I love how the background so nicely contrasts the Redwing Blackbird. But I especially love the awesome flying towards you action shot! 1/5000! Wow! That’s fast! It’s so awesome how everything is so sharp! I love seeing the details in the red and yellow part of the feathers! Your patience paid off!

Keith, an outstanding stop action take of this RWB. The detail is wonderful too
 :+1:

I love the wing position, Keith. Detail looks very good and the epaulets really stand out this way.

Exceptional image. Having on many occasions attempted to obtain at least a “good” shot of a red wing taking off, but failing miserably, your great success gives me at least a modicum of hope that one day I may be able to get an acceptable one. Not only is the bird outstanding, but also the perch and background.

Hi Keith,

The coming at you comp works well. The red wing patches pull the eye in perfectly. I like this as presented
Jim

The placement of the RWBB in the frame along with the angle, wing position and color contrast make this work well for me. Nice shot!!

It sure is. Super shot. Panasonic calls that feature Pre-burst and has a couple of different settings depending on electronic v. mechanical shutter. I haven’t used it yet, but I have one of my function buttons dedicated to that feature in my Wildlife custom mode.

Hi Keith, really nice take off shot. Love seeing the red and yellow patches so well. Well done.

Hi Keith
Your starting to make me into an Olympus believer. The ProCapture give you 6 or 7 frames before the shutter is completely pressed ? Any way great stop action photograph. I am still looking for my first good looking still photo of a Red Wing Black Bird.
Peter

Excellent job in planning this shot to get the bird coming at you. Great colors and detail and I like the perch and background.

It is configurable via the menu. I have mine set as follows:

15 frames pre-shutter release , 25 frames post shutter release, 18 frames per second

All of the frames are standard RAW files. Unlike the Panasonic implementation which uses a 2 second video and you extract a video frame from the sequence as a jpeg.

That’s only if you’re using 6 or 4k burst. If you’re using Pre-burst it’s giving you raw or jpeg as you have it set. 20 or 60 frames per second using the electronic shutter. It can deliver 50 frames per activation. At least that’s what my manual tells me.

Oh cool. That’s great. I was told it did jpegs, but it’s great you have the option.

It is such a great feature to capture THAT perfect moment in time.

amazing. I have nesting red-wings and have failed miserably in capturing a similar image.

HI Keith
Thank you for the information. I just wishOlympus had a broader selection of lens in the 150-600mm range.
Peter

@peter Hi Peter: I just checked the B&H website and there’s a new lens available ( [![Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 150-400mm f/4.5 TC1.25X IS PRO Lens]) It’s a 100-400 with a built-in 1.25 Teleconverter which gives you up to a 1000 mm equivalent in a 35 mm camera. The 150-600 in your Canon crop sensor gets you to 960 mm which is just about the same. Unfortunately, this one costs $7500 instead of $1000. I don’t know how well the less expensive 100-400 zooms work with teleconverters on the micro 4/3 cameras. Until I got my Sony I never had much luck combining them with a long zoom lens.

HI Dennis
As you pointed out $7,500 is a problem. I tied my Sigma 150-600mm on the Sony 7R4 and that was not a working combo. Maybe Canon will replace the 7Dll, with a mirrorless camera.
Peter