Redbud

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I love Redbuds but they have been my nemesis for years. The neighbors have two along the driveway we share and every spring I delight in watching the baby leaves come out while there are still blossoms. But for whatever lame reasons, I never managed to shoot them. So today I did! I need to go back in a couple of days, when the leaves are just a bit bigger. And someone prod me to have at them again in fall when the lovely seed pods are waiting to pose.

Specific Feedback

All comments always welcome! I never know if the sort of stuff that appeals to me works for anyone else.

Technical Details

Screen Shot 2023-04-22 at 2.08.57 PM

Lightened Shadows a bit in LR. Stack of 30. Cloned a few OOF bits on the bottom border and cropped a little from both sides. A tweak of Saturation and that was it. (Early morning shade.)

2 Likes

Very nice image, Diane! I love the overall soft feel of it. And the repetition of the flowers is very well done.

1 Like

The sweep of that branch going from crisp to OOF works very well IMO. But then, I am a fan of the OOFFE (out of focus flower echo). The stack looks darn good! I can’t believe it stayed still long enough to get it. The cool greens and pinks work really well together and the bg coordinates well. What an odd gray shade. They look to be related to peas and so I bet the pods are very photogenic.

This is a wonderful intimate portrait of the redbud leaves, Diane. The focus is right where it needs to be with the FG cluster being pin sharp and then the branch and BG clusters fade into OOF shapes of color. Well worth that bushwack of 300 ft. :laughing: Beautifully done IMO.

Thanks, @Ellen, @Kris_Smith and @Ed_Lowe! Kris, the whitish BG is the stucco wall of the neighbor’s garage. I went back yesterday in hopes the leaves would be a little bigger and the blossoms still good, but nothing had changed much and I didn’t get anything better. This morning would have been better but I slept too late, after being up late doing some star tests on the last available clear night for quite a while, to evaluate a new lens for Milky Way work. Then we’ll be out of town for a couple of days and by then probably the window will have closed for the Redbud and several other spring goodies. But other things await…