Rickety Ridges Walkway

This is from my first trip to Door County in Wisconsin. It’s at the Ridges Sanctuary which is a nature preserve dedicated to the local flora including many rare orchids.

I’ve been a die hard trail shot photographer for a long time and have been lured to different parks and natural areas just because of the presence of a boardwalk. I love them. They give us access to areas that would normally be difficult or destructive to the habitat if we walked there. They also provide ways for people with mobility issues to experience nature. I always try to shoot them with an eye to character and purpose. From thick forest you come to this one that leads out to a marshy inlet where you could sit a spell.

Specific Feedback Requested

I wanted this to be gritty and a little grungy, but not unfriendly. Did I succeed?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Tripod

rickety ridges boardwalk

Luminar processed with a preset, but I can’t remember which one. Then I gave it a crop in Lightroom to eliminate the far trees and blank sky.

@the.wire.smith

Looks like a fun, ricketty boardwalk. Fits perfectly with a marshy, wet area.

Very interesting. I wouldn’t say it’s too grungy but it makes me curious to see a more “idealized” scene as well.

Like leading lines in this image. I posted my image before I saw yours. I like the composition, color balance, and depth of field. I certainly like the concept.

I love boardwalks and bridges, even if they only go over a little trickle–turns a hike into an adventure! Gotta say this one has a lot of character as an old-timer and you’ve portrayed it well. Gritty but not grungy. Especially like the zig zag in the middle; much better than a boring straight boardwalk to the other side. Nice composition and soft lighting produced a pleasant scene.

Thanks @Mark_Seaver, @Jim_Lockhart, @Diane_Miller & @David_Schoen - honestly it was a more natural green, but really not too spring-like even though it was mid-June. And funny it was raining slightly for this one as well as the other NH trail shot. A theme within a theme. I have another similar shot, but it was bone dry.