Ring-Necked Duck and re-post

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

The first time the duck did this action I missed the opportunity, but was lucky to have him do it again. I like the position and that the head is fairly sharp-got to love that eye focus option.

Specific Feedback

Any thoughts are always appreciated.

Technical Details

Canon R5; 100-500 at 500 mm; 1/1000 at f7.1; ISO 320

Nice job catching this behavior, Allen. I like the light and you caught the wings in a great position. It’s difficult to tell from the duck, but it looks as if all the background reflections go down and slightly to the right which might mean it could use a touch of clockwise rotation.

Hi Allen, really nice pose you caught - love the upright duck and wing position. Agree with Dennis on the clockwise rotation. Nice to see those colors on the back of the head.

1 Like

I love the mid-flap pose! Never have gotten a duck like this, but loons are good for it, too. I like the little blip of water coming up on his butt and how bright the eye is. Nice forward momentum with those wings. The tilt stuck out to me first though.

1 Like

Thank @Kris_Smith , @Dennis_Plank , and @Allen_Sparks or your comments and input. I am definitely challenged when it comes to leveling an image. Something with my vision or brain just doesn’t “get it”. Here’s a re-post, which I leveled with a tool in LR; hope it works.

1 Like

Looks good viewed on my tablet, Allen.

1 Like

Rotation is all that this one needed. Excellent duck pose and the light was just right to capture those colors. Well done…Jim

1 Like

Now that the rotation issue is taken care of, great image! You’ve got a good wing position and angle on the bird. Light looks to be a little bit harsh but not much you can do about that. The color of the water fits in nicely with the colors of the duck. I like the frame as well.

1 Like

Nice! Great pose with good detail. I’ve missed so many wing flaps I’ve given up trying.

If the BG reflections weren’t there, the clue about rotation also lies in the ripples. The ends of the oval should lie on a horizontal line. It’s a little difficult here to see precisely, but the RP looks perfect.

1 Like