River of Light

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

This location is looking right in to Bortle 1 skies, so I love how brightly the core shows up. I stack for noise reduction and used two low level LEDs to illuminate the foreground. This really helps reduce noise in the foreground but does add a bit of an unnatural look. I’ve darkened the trees a bit so as to look better, but bright enough to show a bit of detail. I don’t use a blended foregrounds but try to maintain a "natural " look despite the fact you could never see it like this with your eyes!

Creative direction

I am enthralled with the night sky and try to draw the viewer in to the wonder of it all.

Specific Feedback

I’m open to all forms of critique

Technical Details

Nikon D850
Sigma Art 20mm f/1.4
ISO 6400, f/2, 10 sec
10 light and 10 dark images stacked in Starry Landscape Stacker
1 run through the Ministars Action in Photoshop at level 5
Processed in Lightroom Classic CC with masks to enhance the sky, lighten shadows in the trees, and lighten the river a bit too.

Description

The night started out with a short walk in the forest. Despite the darkening shadows in the valley where I stood in wonder, the tops of the high peaks around me were wearing crowns of gilded light. The setting sun was working its magic on the sky as well. Small puffy clouds drifted overhead and illuminated the forest with warm light as they reflected the powerful sun that was quickly sinking below the western horizon. A delightful chorus could be heard as all around me unseen members of the forest choir joined in the visual symphony with their melodious birdsong. I like to think that the evening brought them such joy that they felt compelled to compose a song of gratitude. The gentle roar of the creek could be heard nearby, it’s waters swollen from the rapidly melting snow not too far above us. The snow still clings to the shadowed edges of the peaks. It will provide the downstream communities with water all summer until is is replenished by the extremes of Winter. At this high elevation, flowers are just beginning to bloom. There were Glacier Lilies, Calypso Orchids, and Bluebells. Tonight was not about the flowers though. I was waiting for the closing act of this incredible pageant of light and shadows that comprise the 24 hours we measure it with. The sun sank lower and the sky grew darker. The puffy clouds dissipated into thin streaks that raced to the East as the curtain was about to open on this stage of the night. I found front row seats several miles down stream to watch the show. The curtain rolled back and the show began. It started with a few points of light appearing low on the horizon. Jupiter and Saturn shone brightly, reflecting the sun’s light. They were soon joined by a rapidly increasing number of stars twinkling with their own light. By midnight, in the first hour of Summer, the light of the stars shown brightly enough to see without any other light source. The Milky Way curved across the sky like a river of light. It seemed to sweep down to the Earth and share some of its energy with the creek in front of me. Together they flowed with joy and tranquility. I sat there with a smile on my face as I clicked away with my camera hoping to be able to capture just a minutiae of its glory. It was an invigorating night under the stars.

From its power, my first impression is that this feels like a cosmic forest fire! I think the composition, capture and processing are wonderful. You have done an excellent job of bringing out the detail in the MW – that is so often overdone.

My only thought is to maybe go just a little darker on the FG trees, but probably leave the stream where it is. I wonder about a slight crop from the top to remove the aberrations in the stars in the top corners, but most people wouldn’t be bothered by them.