RockArt Heart + "pano photo"

Over the past 15/20 years I have collected these heart rocks. Some are from Colorado, Texas and various places I’ve lived and visited. They reside on a cliff that is about 25’ from our backdoor that creates a natural barrier between our house and the backyard.

The cliff is great for holding these hearts as it’s has many crevices, nooks and crannies. Seems like I’ve collected around 60 or so over the years.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Is this too close? Would it have been more informative if more of the wall was visible? I was concerned I would lose the rocks? Other comments and thoughts are welcome.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

I enjoy watching this wall in the early morning when the sun is just rising and was trying to capture that soft morning glow. Does it feel that way to you? All thoughts and comments welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Nikon D7200, f/22, 1 sec., iso 125, 60-80mm @ 65mm, tripod, remote release.

Thanks

These are wonderful and what a great way to display them. I don’t think you need to show anymore of the wall as the heart rocks might be too small then. Could you try adding some room on the lower edge so the bottom heart isn’t sitting right at the edge of the frame? Maybe crop a little off the top. I can see the golden morning glow in lower right corner., but the center of the photo is pretty shadowed. I’d love to see your wall in person.

You’re right Chris. I was constricted just a bit by a huge plant and wanted more room myself, just couldn’t negotiate the room. I did dodge the shadow a bit, but can clearly do a bit more to get better definition. As for seeing the whole wall, perhaps in the next I’m in Portland (one of our sons lives there) we can arrange to meet. Thanks for your comments.

Linda: What a neat idea to collect these rocks and the memories attached to them. :+1: :+1:

Linda, I’m enjoying the warm glow (that shows well) and the warm feeling behind your collection. There’s a fine lower right to upper left sweeping flow. My, very minor, complaint is that I’d like just a hair more room at the bottom

Thanks @Chris_Baird, @Bill_Fach and @Mark_Seaver for your kind words and thoughts. I’ve attached a very crude “pano” of the barrier/wall that’s located in our backyard, just to give you a sense of what it is like. The red circle indicates where the heart rocks are located along the wall.

This was taken a couple of years ago and clearly not meant as panorama photo. But does show the “courtyard” effect it has for us and also how it keeps some of the wildlife back a bit. The foliage has grown quite a bit and the heart rocks are simply placed where ever there was a shelf that fit. I do agree with Mark and Chris and wish I had more space after the last heart rock in the LRC, just need to do some trimming to get there. Thanks again.

What a wonderful wall to have in your backyard!

1 Like