Rodeo Horses

Image Description

These horses are raised near Ellensburg, WA for rodeo events. Usually there is loose hay on the ground which doesn’t make for good photographs, so when it snowed a few days ago I drove there hoping to get some shots before the snow stopped and they were fed.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

horses looking away; Whiteness of snow. Any comments welcome.

Technical Details

Ca non 5DIV; 24/70 at 70; 1/500th; 11.0; 400 ISO; slight dehaze; cropped some all around.

1 Like

Cool that you went back when the snow made things nicer, but I wish they weren’t all facing the other way. Usually you get get the lot of them looking your way by calling to them. Carrots work well, too. :laughing: While I like the large scene well enough, I wonder if you picked out smaller groups of them for some tighter photos.

I tried a lot of things to get them to turn. Carrots? Wild enough that they back off from approach, but just maybe… . Thanks. I did take others, but try as I may, no success in getting them to turn. I guess they were just being contrary that morning. I’ll post one this evening.

Hi Jim. A good plan to go back when it was snowing. I like their winter coats. Like Kris, I wish they were facing you. I suspect the wind was coming from the wrong direction. I’m not sure if they tend to face away from it or toward it (I suspect away).

A lovely layered scene with the foreground snow, horses, and trees.

@Allen_Brooks @Dennis_Plank Thanks you for your comments. I drove by the horses yesterday and no snow remains. Lots of hay on ground and the horses were far away. Of course, they were looking at me.

Horses are butts. :laughing:

@Kris_Smith : :rofl: