Royal fern with spore plume

@Mario_Cornacchione , @Ed_McGuirk I like to make a short ride on the Fern-quest train with Mario and Ed. This fern is big and stands in my garden.(not real landscape) . I had to show it .

Specific Feedback Requested

All feedback is more than welcome

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No

Nice to have a fellow passenger! I like the arrangement here, but think the green channel is overloaded…I think you could take it down a bit and still have a good image. The contrast of the parts of the plants that produce spores is interesting. Royal fern is always lovely.

Welcome aboard. I like what you did with the dof. Agree with diane re:green but nice image.

Kris sums up my thoughts nicely, pull back on the green and you still have a nice intimate scene. Setting the shapes of the ferns against the darker background really makes their shapes stand out. And welcome aboard the Fernscape train. This should be a weekly challenge or something :grin:

I’m not sure if the brown stuff is spores or just a dead stalk of ferns, but it adds some color contrast, and gives the image an anchor point. Where I live we have a species called Cinnamon Ferns because their brown spores resemble the spice cinnamon. Here is an example. Your image reminded me of this species…

@Kris_Smith , @Mario_Cornacchione , @Ed_McGuirk . Thank’s for having me on this train and a good idea to continue it with other quests.
I agree about bringing the green channel down a bit. (see my rework, I hope this was intended.).
As I know very little about plants and flowers. I thought the brown stuf as Ed call’s it, were flowers. I look’t it up and learned that the spore plumes bear spherical to pear-shaped spore capsules.

Ah, so those are spores, and big ones too. Thanks for checking Ben

@Ed_McGuirk Like this image ed. The birches are so well placed. No one has used the cinnamon fern except you and ben @Ben_van_der_Sande

Ben like the rework better

1 Like