Ruby-Crowned Kinglet

Image Description

Same tree as yesterday’s post of the Hutton’s Vireo. Here you can see their similarities and differences, with the daintier bill and a different wing pattern; but similar shape, colors, and eye ring.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.

• Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

Posted mainly as an interesting comparison shot between two similar looking birds.

Technical Details

Canon R5; 100-500 at 500 mm; 1/400 at f7.1, +2/3 EV; ISO 400

A stunning image, Allen. I love the composition and the colors and the bird fits perfectly. No nits at all on this one.

1 Like

Really good look at this one with a terrific flower perch and nice background. These little dudes make themselves tough to photograph. Well done.

1 Like

Hi Allen,

Both images are outstanding! (referring to this image and your Hutton’s Vireo image).

The details are awesome (as usual) and the composition in this one is very appealing to me with the way the limb is arching from LL to UR, the colors are just…Great!

These birds are so dainty, yet majestic in their own way.

I don’t really have the desire to capture my own bird images, mostly because I doubt I could come close to this quality, I don’t feel I have what it takes.
I admire the work that you and others here are able to produce.

Even though I don’t always comment, I always thoroughly enjoy the avian images here at NPN :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Allen,
I see this as a very fine image. The composition is quite nice with the bird well positioned on the flowery branch and with a complimentary background. Also nice that the repeated out of focus flowers appear to be behind the perch branch. Fine details and exposure on this hard to get bird. Also nice that the bird is facing out into the neutral space on the left. Well done image.

1 Like

Allen, this says spring in the most beautiful way. What a gorgeous bird. Well done.

1 Like

Hi Allen
Both the Hutton and the Ruby-Crown Kinglet are well exposed, have good eye contact and the coloring and feather detail are very nice. You gave us an education on bird Ids.
Peter

1 Like

Wonderful!! I could see cropping some from the bottom and right to make the bird more prominent in the frame. I wonder if it’s possible to tame the highlights a little, too. Should be easy to mask the bird so you’re not dulling it down. Maybe layer two raw conversions in PS and mask there.

1 Like

Very nice–the kinglet is perfect with lots of detail. The diagonal produced by the flowering branch against the OOF BG pulls everything together…Jim

1 Like