Ruby-throated Hummingbird between fillups

Ruby-throated Hummingbird between fillups.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 5ds-r with 100x400 telephoto at f-16, 1/100sec. and ISO of 800. Post processed with Lightroom, Photoshop and Topaz denoise.

elwise44
2 Likes

Excellent detail, Wayne, and a really nice pose. It’s also an interesting stage in the plumage development.

This is really terrific. The detail is just right and Dennis is right about this being an interesting look at the change from juvenile to adult. Since the bird stands out so crisply against the background, you could have a go at blurring it further in Photoshop. Masking the bird should be easy.

Thanks Dennis and Kristen, I will give another try at blurring the BG a bit more.
Wayne

Repost to show a more blurred background. A gaussian blur would give me more effects but I don’t want to blur much more.
Wayne

Great subject, great detail and great composition. If I had to choose I vote for the rework, but the additional blur is not really needed.

Hi John
When I read the technical details, I question the f16 setting. After looking at the Hummingbird, I think you were right in set a high f stop. This Humming pops out of the frame and is completely in focus.
Nice work.
Peter

Thanks Ola and Peter. This Hummer seems to change the ruby red around its neck to a very dark color at will. Attracting a partner may be its purpose.