Ruby-throated Hummingbird feeding on coral honeysuckle

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I took this shot about a week ago as the hummingbirds started to show up in my area. This was not a set up. Natural light and background. I was shooting birds at a feeder when this bird showed at the honeysuckle behind the feeder.

Specific Feedback

Just general composition. I was happy with the wing position and wing blur but any comments on that?
Anything else?

Technical Details

Canon R7, 400mm DO IS II, 1.4x extender III, tripod
ISO 1600, f7.1, 1/2000s

2 Likes

This is amazing! I love the blur in the wings…just enough to add action. The colours are superb and the detail is incredible. If you want you could take out the branch from the leaves to the bottom edge. Great technique and creativity here.

Sweet, Allen. Great pose and I don’t know how you get a honeysuckle to grow that way. Mine are a jumble and I can never get an isolated bloom cluster. We’ve got plenty of hummingbirds back, now I just need some decent light.

Not sure what would make this better. Beautiful flower and sharp bird and nice background. Great job.

Really beautiful in so many ways - the pose of both the bird and the blossoms, the details, the light and the background. All came together. Am jealous because it’s snowing and our hummies are far off.

Hi Allen
The framing, eye contact and feather detail are all great.
Peter

Great image, and extra happy to read that’s it’s not a set-up. Not that I have anything against that, but all natural always adds a little extra for me. No nits, just awe! Cheers, Hans