Running Wild

Sometimes it requires a little bit of patience, but if one wildebeest starts running, they all go for it… so the perfect opportunity to practice that panning technique again :slight_smile:

Masai Mara, Kenya - The Great Migration, 2019

Nikon D850 - Nikkor AF-S VR 70-200mm @ 200mm - 250 ISO, f/11, 1/30s

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

#ingridvekemansphotography

1 Like

Super catch Ingrid! I love these kinds of shots.

Fantastic! Perfect panning technique and choice of shutter speed.

Great shot Ingrid, as well as the background blur the tail and legs show also motion while the head is still sharp.
I also like to slightly washed out feel of the background as well, it provides a good contrast with the Gnu (do we say Gnu?!)

Love the panning here, you may darken the frame a touch, if you like.
I’m missing the techs here :sunglasses:

Sorry Jagdeep, they are in the description now! Was sheer laziness on my part, as I had to look them up in Lightroom :upside_down_face:

Thanks Ingrid ! Actually they can help beginners learn. :grinning:

I know Jagdeep, will try and remember next time!

Ingrid: what all those other folks said plus it’s a wall hanger! Richard

Nicely done, Ingrid. A nice sharp face is what most of us hope for in these situations, but I think the position of the tail should not be overlooked… it’s nice that it’s swishing out away from the body. The lighter background tones are quite nice as well!

Max

What you did and what others said is spot on!
Just wondering if an elongated crop might convey a greater sense of motion. A very minor suggestion would be to consider a bit less room on the right as the comp seems left-heavy to me, but perhaps that, to others, gives room for the beast to run.