Rushing into Spring (+ Rework)

Above is the rework with a little more green saturation, a slight vignette, and the removal of some streaks on the first tier of pink roses…

Above is the original post.

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

In my last ICM entry (Twisted Sisters), @Alfredo_Mora suggested I try different camera movements. I took that to heart and began experimenting with horizontal directions for the most part. In early April, I went to our garden and started to look around for subjects. Our trailing rose bed was covered with new roses. Although it was hard to isolate one section that provided some breathing room to the composition I had in mind, I found this small section that ended up being this photo.

This is a single image shot using a tripod. I picked this section of the rose bed because it’d allow me an area with no other elements on the right side of the frame. Also, I suspected the pink roses and green foliage would create an impressionist combination of complementary colors. Since it was a small area (maybe a foot in length), I set my shutter speed to a slower number than I normally use for ICM. I also held focus on the roses at the end and moved the camera slightly to the left. When I was ready to create the ICM, I moved the camera to the right, I ended up with this image that still had a soft focus on the trailing roses.

In LR, I removed several branch distractions in order to keep the image primarily pink and green (with a dash of orange in the streaks). I evened out the luminosity and added more vibrancy to the roses in soft focus. I applied a soft blur in the green areas around the trailing roses to increase the ethereal feeling of floating roses.

Specific Feedback

I am somewhat bothered by the dark streaks in the greens. Those came from branches and other dark elements in the rose bed. Does the caption seem appropriate? I confess I wish I had had more room on the right side of the frame. I thought about adding that in PS, but I opted not to do it. I try hard not to very much add elements to the scenes I photograph.

Technical Details

exif

I used a tripod.

3 Likes

Egidio, I’m not a ICM photographer yet, but I think this is a grand ICM. I like that you chose to make it green and pink. I love that it starts out with the flowers being so blurred you really can’t tell what they are and then ends with knowing exactly what they are. I also don’t feel like they need more space at the end and the dark streaks in the greens don’t bother me at all. I think they give the photo more texture. The horizontal movement is perfect. More experienced ICM photographers might disagree, but I like this a lot.

Edigio,

Beautiful image! Soft and delicate, like the flower… but with motion!

Interesting,

I see the opposite! Starts with the more recognizable flower, then fades to left. In fact this reminds me much like a comet and its “tail.” But no matter how you look at it, the motion is very effective here, with a lovely result!

Feedback? I suppose you could make the greens a little more saturated? But then in looking again, the colors/sat are working quite well with the lower contrast. Maybe a slight vignette?

I’m not bothered by any dark streaks. Looking a little closer now, you might consider cloning the brighter and darker “spots” along the top streak. Very minor though.

Next up in the journey… diagonal… then bi-motion! (combining two or more different directions in one exposure!) fun!

Lon

1 Like

Good morning Egidio! What a fantastic interpretation of the arrival of Spring! The title matches the image well. The sense of motion is wonderfully conveyed. That is interesting you used a tripod. That makes sense given the linear motion.

One approach to addressing the dark streaks in the greens is to add a new layer in Photoshop, set the blend mode to Color, sample the green color, and paint in at a low opacity. I think you have enough room on the right side. The composition looks good to me.

1 Like

First of all, thanks, @Donna_Callais. I appreciate you taking the time to give me your comments. About the quote above, that was also a first for me: an ICM that shows where it was coming from. Thanks for the critique and encouragement.

Thanks, @Lon_Overacker, for your kind words and critique.

I like that you have looked at the photo from right to left. Since we tend to read left to right, I am often looking at things the same way.

I’ll have to test that stronger saturation carefully. As you may recall, I had an issue with the greens in my previous ICM that you commented on. In this particular case here, I’ll need to be sure the green does not overpower the pink. I was going for an impressionist look with soft and pastel colors. As for the vignette, that could enhance the light in the roses. I’ll add an edit later with the suggestions.

Diagonal ICM? Er, yeah, I have one ready. It’ll have to wait until I’m back from Brazil.

Alfredo, thank you very much for the critique you offered. Using the tripod made it easy to get the horizontal motion. I loosened the center column screw on the tripod and gently touched the lens hood to get the camera’s motion. I was working with a tight space and a short length of trailing roses. Thanks also for the suggestion of an additional layer to address the greens.

Thanks, everyone, for your critique and kind words of encouragement. I appreciate your time and words.

I have now added a second edit with some of the suggestions made. I noticed that with the localized added green saturation, the pink hue became a bit more pronounced. Maybe it’s my eyes playing tricks on me. I reduced the pink saturation in order to keep a soft tone. Once again, thanks, @Donna_Callais, @Lon_Overacker, and @Alfredo_Mora.

Edigio,

Thank you for considering the suggestions and taking the time to try the edits. I was thinking you might be correct in keeping the color/sat toned down for a softer look - but I must say you took the very gentle approach on the greens and in my view, the changes are wonderful! Just what I was thinking actually; nothing drastic - hardly, but just a tweak. Well done!

Egídio, I’m enjoying the “flying flowers”. The mix of soft trailing color and enough detail in the flowers lets both the motion and the flowers show well. I think the redo is a significant improvement, with its darker edges and especially the removal of the many semi-vertical lighter bits.

1 Like

Mark, that is very kind of you to share those words and feedback. I appreciate you taking the time for that. Thank you.