Scorched

This one goes back to January 2010, out in the Mojave desert with an old time NPNer Jason Blankenship. I used my Chamonix 4x5 with Velvia 50 film and converted to B&W. I experimented with whiting the snow on the ground, but felt it competed too much with the tree trunk.

Any thoughts, comments or suggestions are always welcome.

1 Like

Harley, excellent old tree. I do recall this scene back then. I cannot recall if you posted as B&W then or color at the time. Regardless, the supporting sky, stark landscape, and the snow presents a truly ominous or alien look and feel…:alien:

This is very cool. I think the snow is about right, given the light. The tree is excellent. I like the starkness, and the tufts of grass fill the foreground nicely. Processing looks great.
-P

That is awesome, Harley. When I first opened it, I thought it was an infrared shot. The dramatic sky behind the stark landscape as rendered in black and white really creates a moody image,

This is awesome Harley! Love it. Has the “boneyard” presence and the b&w of course is the right choice.
Honestly I wasn’t concerned about the snow and didn’t even think about it - until you mentioned it - now I’m wondering why the snow is gray? :roll_eyes: :thinking: :smiley:

But really, this works beautifully as presented!

just perfect in my eyes.Love this type of scenery .Great depth and texture in this

The lighting is perfect here; it does a masterful job of showcasing the character of tree and it’s surroundings, Harley. Great call on converting this to B&W.

Harley, this is outstanding! The tree’s starkness stands out strongly and is perfectly placed in the frame. The sky is nicely dramatic as well. However, it the mixture of snow, ground and grasses that complete the view.

Excellent image Harley. This tree has so much character and the sky brings it out even more. Having it centered is perfect due to it’s symmetry. Love it.

This is such a powerful and exceptional image, Harley. I love the way the white trunk stands out so prominently. One of your best IMO!

A striking image Harley. What really captures my attention is how well your composition works with the overall aspect ratio of the photograph. The proportion of land to sky and the placement of the tree are all contributing to this effect. I am also enjoying your B&W treatment.

Nice image, Harley! The stark contrasts in this make for a dramatic b&w scene. The white tree trunk stands out because it’s the opposite of what you normally expect. The dynamic sky makes a great backdrop for the branches also. Centered composition definitely works for this one. The small image looks nice and sharp but the large version could maybe use a little more sharpening.

Another outstanding B&W - wow! I agree with your decision about the snow.