Seeing the Unseen...

I’m retired now for a few years from various technology jobs…

I’m often taking photo road trips, mostly in Washington, Oregon and now in retirement, I have a little vacation condo in Palm Springs California to use as a base for exploring the desert southwest, and spend close to half the year there now.

I primarily make long exposures, fascinated by the idea of capturing an interval of time instead of an “instant”. “Seeing the Unseen” as Alister Benn terms it. For the last couple of years, I have taken things a bit further, shooting long exposures in infrared, actually capturing images in light invisible to the human eye.

4 Likes

Hi Gary and welcome back to NPN. Retirement is the bomb - congratulations and I hope to see more of your work. This is a strong opener for sure. I’m a sucker for long exposure, but have never worked in infrared before so I’m looking forward to what else you’ve come up with. The trees and foliage are so blurred this must be a very long exposure indeed or it was monsooning, lol.

Thanks, Kris! This image was actually made using my iPhone with an R72 infrared filter, a 30 second exposure using an iPhone camera app called Camera+2 that allows for long exposures by taking multiple exposures for the period of time you select, and aggregating them into a single image. I was recently interviewed about this technique for FRAMES Magazine, not sure if it is appropriate to post links to that sort of stuff here…

1 Like

Welcome to NPN, Gary! Isn’t retired life superb when you love photography?! I am fascinated by long-exposure photography but have never tried it myself. I look forward to seeing more of your work here.

Hi Gary! Welcome to NPN! I like your initial post - I may have to find an IR filter of my own. The iPhone technique works quite well too. Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Gary,

Yes, welcome back to NPN! Hope to see more from you and especially some infrared - now in your retirement! I’m so, so close and can’t wait to get out of the IT corporate world… while I’m not looking forward to being older, I am really looking forward to retirement!

Great question and thanks for asking. In general, of course NPN isn’t supporting solicitation of personal business, products, etc. etc. There are sections in the MarketPlace where product and services are promoted and sold thru NPN, usually at a discount.

However, I’m pretty sure that’s not what you’re asking or intending. If you want to reference something that demonstrates a technique or provides further example of a type of photography, I think that’s acceptable. Perhaps the best place for that as well might be one of the discussion forums. So pretty much you can differentiate between the two. One is marketing, self-promotion, soliciting for customers, etc. The other consideration is really just the promotion of the “art and technique” of nature photography. Sometimes of course, there’s a blurry gray line in between.

Hope this helps. Please reach out to anyone on staff if you have any quesitons.

Welcome back and we look forward to your work and contributions!

Lon

Oh and you could put a short post together here in the Techniques and Methods section. I bet it would be very popular as it’s not something we see all the time.

1 Like

Gary, welcome to the community! Infrared photography is really interesting. Looking forward to seeing your images here.

Gary, welcome back and wow, what a cool IR image. I look forward to seeing more of your work here.

Cheers,
David

Hi Gary. Also a newbie here. I’m amazed you got that with an iPhone. I have an 11 and often find my edges to be ‘rough’ not knowing a better way to describe it. This is an amazing shot. Love the way the infrared makes things glow. The white of the falls is just such a nice focal point. Look forward to seeing more of your photos.

I’d be happy to…
I’ll write up a few paragraphs outlining my technique…

Thank you, Egídio

1 Like

Thank You , Alfredo! Infrared has been central to most of my images for the last couple of years…

Thanks, David!

Thanks, Cameron! The iPhone cameras and associated apps are getting better and better with each new model, I can actually envision a time when I go out shooting with just an iPhone and a tripod!

1 Like