Senter Falls

In southern NH there are several terrific waterfalls in one small area - Senter, Purgatory (upper & lower), Garwin & Tucker. If you plan ahead you can visit them all on a long, overcast day.

I was introduced to all of them by a group of photographers who would get together for meet ups quite a bit. We comp stomped all over each other, but always had fun.

March 2010

April 2010

September 2011

May 2012

May 2013

None of the falls is hard to find, but Senter is a little less popular. It’s on Cold Brook and as you can see, is wonderful in any season. There aren’t dramatic changes here, but I do wonder where the fallen tree went to. It isn’t in the channel or on the falls. I wish I’d had the presence of mind to look for it up on the top. I think maybe some aggravated photographers moved it out of the shot. That would be hilarious.

Looking back, I wish I had a shot of the main cascade in fall. I was there one year in October, but shot the secondary cascade and a weird view from the other side that is lower down. It’s a victim of ‘same old same old, I can always shoot it later’ syndrome. I never thought I’d move away from Southern NH, so I didn’t think I’d never get it. Not that I couldn’t go back, but you know what I mean.

Specific Feedback Requested

I have many other versions of the main cascade so have at it. If these shots aren’t working (chosen for their similarity of tripod position), there is probably one that does. Any feedback is welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Taken over several years, different cameras, but with polarizers and/or neutral density filters.

@the.wire.smith

Kris, this is a fine series, showing off dramatic seasonal changes. Watching such changes is a big part of the pleasure of being a “local” and makes returning again and again fun.

Kris, a fine series of southern NH waterfalls. My favorites are the last two , May 2012 has a really strong composition. I have visited Senter Falls a number of times, and finding good compositions there is harder than one might think. But May 2012 is one of the best I have seen from this location. And you are very brave to drive down that access road in winter…

After a month of May where we did not have overcast or rain during the first three weeks of the month, we finally had 4 rainy days in a row over Memorial Day weekend. So one of those days I ventured out to hit this group of falls. I arrived at Garwin Falls and was saddened to see signs at the parking areas saying “This area closed until further notice, access to the waterfall is forbidden, violators will be arrested”. When I got home I found an article in the Union Leader that said the Town of Wilton decided to close the falls to public access due to too many social media driven people over-running the falls, parking everywhere, and leaving trash. One of the best waterfalls in the state locked away thanks to social media. Instagram is a wonderful thing, isn’t it :face_vomiting:

Oh that’s a shame, Ed. I hadn’t heard. It was a favorite and I have several images from different angles that I really like. Stoopid humans have to ruin everything.

Thanks for praise of May 2012. I hope this location doesn’t suffer the same fate. I drove down the road, but parked where the plows still cleared, then I walked further than you would in summer.

Did you know that at the turn of the 20th century (I think I have my time right), Purgatory falls was a tourist destination. Upper was anyway. There are (were) remnants of walkways here and there - mostly iron fasteners and bars. Lower Purgatory was getting very popular, too, when I moved. There was a mill operation there, but I forget what it milled.

More bad news on the Hillsborough county waterfall circuit. On Monday I visited Garwin Falls only to learn it was closed. Today I planned to visit, Tucker, Lower Purgatory and Senter falls. The town of Milford has closed the access to Lower Purgatory as well !!!

Another search of the Union Leader revealed that both Upper and Lower Purgatory Falls are now closed to the public, and trespassers are subject to arrest. The article discussed the reason for closing to be due to over-visitation, people leaving trash, and “Oh the Horror” they even had spotted Massachusetts license plates in the parking lot. If that’s not enough to close access, I don’t know what is…

We had a ton of rain the past week, and the only good news to report is that Senter Falls was looking as nice as I’ve ever seen it today. Probably a good thing, how long will it be before they close this one too?

Oh man that’s disappointing. What a shame. I’d be so much more pissed if I still lived there.

Have you been to Royalston or Pulpit falls? Rpyalston is is Mass so your license plate won’t cause suspicion. Pulpit is in extreme south west NH. I can help you find that last one, but google should find you the first. Can show you pics of both, too. The brook above Royalston has a natural bridge.

Yes I have been to both of these falls, but thanks for the tips. Pulpit is actually one of my favorites in NH. I am somewhat of a waterfall fan, so I have been on the lookout for off the beaten track falls like Pulpit. Hopefully it’s middle of nowhere location prevents it from being overrun like the ones in Hillsborough County.

I grew up in Walpole NH, but have lived in Massachusetts for the past 35 years. I got a chuckle out of the quote from the Milford selectman in the Union Leader article, where he equated people leaving trash being as bad as cars from Massachusetts in the parking area. Can’t have no flatlanders invading our waterfalls. The sad thing is a lot of the trash is probably from local teens partying at the waterfall.

Hopefully it does. The times I was there, Pulpit didn’t have a sign so maybe that will help it stay under the radar. If you went there, you probably know Faye falls which is nearby.

You could check out the Piscataquog Land Conservancy’s web page for their properties. I have photographed a few small, but charming falls on their land. One was on Martha’s brook and another was so new to the public that it has no name. It’s in Francestown though I’m pretty sure. Senter is a PLC property.