Signs of spring

Image Description

The striking colors of the new leaves against the fallen leaves in the water made a good contrast.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.

• Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.

• Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.

• Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

It was one of those days when just walking along looking for a subject and the colors caught my eye. I wonder if the highlights are too bright.

And you’re absolutely right in noticing them as they are quite striking. The age old adage is ‘get as close as you can’ is probably appropriate here as, in my opinion, one of our goals as photographers is to remove anything that is detracting or conflicting with the main subject.

In this case the surrounding water is a bit messy and the trunk isn’t really adding to the picture so I’ve made a bigger crop. I did notice that the blue reflection in the background provided a bit of colour contrast to the greens, yellows and reds so I boosted them a little too… I then burnt/darkened the rest of the image to bring emphasis to the centre. I did this selectively so as not to darken things that were already dark (making them black). Hope you don’t mind the edit!

Thanks, the colors look great (I had not noticed the blue in the water) but I contend your crop might be a little to tight. I’ll continue to work on it.

1 Like