Skiing Serenity

I had taken a drive up the mountain and pulled over at a viewpoint. My intent was just photographing the mountain across the way and it wasn’t until I got home and was editing my photos later that night that I realized I had captured someone standing at the top of the mountain. I imagine the skier had a pretty good view and was taking it all before heading down the mountain.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any feedback is appreciated

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
300mm, f11, 1/500s, ISO 400

@darian_putnam
2 Likes

Darian, welcome to NPN and the Weekly Challenge! That figure against the sky at the very crest of the mountain is quite the surprise, leaving the viewer to wonder about how they got there. This looks like a challenging shot, with the bright sky and the shadowed mountain. You’ve handled the sky well. The blue cast in the shaded snow is what the camera sees, but we humans adjust that in our heads when we’re standing there. That’s a long way of saying that removing the blue cast in the shadows (in post processing) would make this a more inviting view.

Welcome to NPN and an excellent first post to the challenge. The figure at the top adds scale and a sense of place and works well to impart a sense of tranquility. I would agree with @Mark_Seaver about the blue cast, but otherwise, the processing looks really good.

Darian, welcome. You’ve come to the right place! There are so many talented photographers here.

A great first image. I like the person at the top. There’s a story there.

There is a gorgeous morning…or afternoon light hitting the top of the ridge and the tops of the trees. I wonder if you can bring that out a little more. Maybe a bit of careful cloning around the edges to lose the tiny intrusions. Not a bit deal.

Well done!

Thank you! I am happy to find a place to get some real feedback on my images. I have only been playing around with photography for about a year, so I know I have a lot to learn. I will definitely adjust the blue cast and see if that helps it feel more like what I saw. Thank you for the advice!

Thank you, happy to have found NPN! I felt really grateful to have captured the person standing there. I am still working on finding my style for editing but I am definitely trying to keep it as close to what I see so I will work on the adjusting the blue cast. Thank you for commenting!

Thank you, I definitely have a lot to learn to utilize this community to the fullest! I haven’t played around with cloning yet, so I’ll have to look into that. Thank you for the suggestion!