Slow Morning

![Slow Morning]

This image has a couple of small human elements in it so I hope it belongs here.
The Po River downstream from Parma in the morning before all of the morning mist has lifted completely. The overall mood of this is a sense of calm for me and I really like both the colour version as well as the B&W. I think the colour version renders the atmospheric conditions better but the B&W version enhances the calm mood for me.

Specific Feedback Requested

Would be interested to hear which version you all prefer as well as your feedback overall.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D70, Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 lens at 24 mm, ISO 400 1/400 sec at f11
LRC tonal and color adjustments, toned down the highlights in the clouds and applied a little bit of negative clarity globally to enhance the dreamy mood. Adjusted the colour channels to taste in the B&W version and added back a bit of clarity in the clouds for contrast.

Bill it sounds like you are asking for comments on competing color vs. B&W versions. So far only the color version has been posted. Just FYI , if the comparison was your intent.

@Ed_McGuirk - indeed. I posted both but the B&W is currently showing up as a link below the colour image - not sure why but will try to edit and repost.

I much prefer the color version. Perhaps b&w works best when there is great tonal variation and richness in texture. The color version has a hint of mist which the other lacks. It’s more romantic.

I also strongly prefer the color version. In the B&W image nearly all of the sky and and some of the water are almost the same tonality, the light just does not come across very strongly. In the color version there is significant warm/cool color contrast, and more of a soft gentle feeling that conveys a sense of calm. I don’t get that same feeling in the B&W version, the mist just looks better in color to me.

Agree with the others in color preference. There isn’t enough going on in the shot to support B&W - maybe a tighter crop for that one would help bring out something different in the scene.

Definitely the color version for me, Bill. I am enjoying the peaceful calm of the morning in this scene. I think you could emphasize that even more with a crop to get rid of some empty space. I also think you could tone down the highlights just a little more. I hope you do not mind, but here is a rework with what I was thinking. Just my opinion of course.

@Ed_McGuirk, @Igor_Doncov, @Kris_Smith, @Ed_Lowe - thank you all for commenting on my image. I’m learning so much from all of you already and certainly getting my mojo back. Thanks especially @Ed_Lowe for the rework suggestions.