Smokies inspiration

We spent the last week at a resort that borders Great Smokey Mountain Natl Park just outside of Waynesville, NC. Last Saturday, my brother-in-law, who has a bad case of early onset Alzheimers wandered into the woods and disappeared wearing a tee shirt and shorts. The response from the local Search and Rescue as well as the Park Service was truly inspirational. For 4 days, more than 200 people from 60 different agencies searched the very heavy woods. The owners of the resort insisted that the family stay at no charge until Kevin was found. He was found late on day 4, with lots of scrapes and bruises, but with no significant health effects. He’s flying home today. The outpouring of support from total strangers was truly inspirational as well as awe inspiring! This is a late afternoon 3.5 shot pano looking towards Waynesville from the resort. Nothing special in this pano, but the memories will be with the family forever.

Wow, Mark! I heard about your brother in law in the news. I had no idea of course that he was related to you. I’m glad to hear that he was found safely! I love the area along the Blue Ridge Parkway in and around Waynesville. I was just out there in June.

Well, that explains my concern for you, Mark! I have missed seeing you on here, and I thought that maybe you and your wife were on a trip somewhere where you were unable to get online, and we would see some of the beautiful photos later. That must have been a horrible experience to go through! That is one huge area of woodlands for someone to be lost in. I am so glad that your brother was found and that he had no significant health issues. I am not surprised of the kindness shown to you though. It seems when we need assistance in something like this, people are more than glad to give of themselves as well as their finances.

Mark,

So sorry about the ordeal your brother-in-law and family endured this past week. And more than glad to know of the happy ending. Yikes!

A fine image tribute to honor your brother-in-law and to memorialize the times…

Lon

I’m so glad this story has a happy ending. It looks like a lovely, simple photo to me, but I’m sure for you it holds so much emotion and meaning. We all owe so much to the folks who do this heroic work of Search and Rescue.

@Lon_Overacker, while the time was definitely memorable, I’m not sure we want to memorialize the event…:wink:
@Kathy_Barnhart, The SAR folks were awesome!