So it goes - (+ re-edits & a slightly different angle)

Re-edited with Michael’s suggestions - an improvement?

Since it was only drizzling rain today I went to a section of the Prairie river that I wanted to explore more fully. It means bushwhacking a good deal and I’m glad I don’t have to do it again. This is the most interesting & photogenic section of the river and the first time shooting it in warm weather. I’m out on some big rocks and everything is wet. Oh the things we do. But overall I had a great day. Haven’t been this dirty since I was 6.

Here’s a slightly different view. I think I shifted on the boulder a little. I like that the whole rock on the other side (an island) is visible, but not sure about the leaves in the URC.

Redone with suggestions from Igor & Ed -

Specific Feedback Requested

Well it’s all subjective, but let it fly. I can always shoot it again. And probably will.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Lumix G9
Lumix G Vario 12-35mm f/2.8 @ 12mm (24mm equiv.)
f/11 | 1/3 sec. | ISO 200
Tripod & polarizing filter

Lr processed for the basics and a crop to emphasize the lines & get rid of some sky in the distance. Kept the saturation & vibrance to 0. Crazy green is Wisconsin. Local adjustment brush to keep things focused on the water. It roars, baby, it roars.

@the.wire.smith
2 Likes

I like it. The comp flows nicely and the greens are nice and lush. The BG water is still a little bright even with the polarizer. Probably nothing you could do about that with all the open sky above. I would bring out a little detail in the FG and darken the BG trees a little around the lighter area.

2 Likes

Thanks Michael. I was wondering about the brightness there…I did a little brushwork to reduce it, but looks like I should do more.

Kris, there is a lot going on here, but overall I think your composition does a good job of organizing what otherwise would be chaos. And similar to your prior post, I think this image works nowhere near as well without the fallen log in the foreground. It helps hold everything together. I agree with @Michael_Lowe about the bright water, but your reworks address that.

I prefer the composition of the third image you posted. It helps to show all of the far shoreline rock along the left edge. The leaves introduced in the URC are a distraction, but easily cloned away. Another couple tweaks I’d recommend to your third version are a slight bottom crop, and adding some soft glow Orton effect to the background top/center foliage. I think this helps pull the viewers eye there.

I agree with @Ed_McGuirk that your third image is your best. I feel that the big boulder in the lrc is an important element and moving it slightly away from the edge is a good thing. I like how the log is placed in the same direction as the flow of the water. I think that works well visually. I prefer this image over your previous log image.

Thank you @Ed_McGuirk & @Igor_Doncov for your insights. I’ve brought the 3rd image into Ps to apply your suggestions - I also brushed the all important rock with the dodge tool to bring it up just a little bit. Have I gone too far?

The image keeps getting better and better with the small tweaks, Kris. I think you pretty well have it with your last post. I do enjoy the lush greens you captured here as well as the way the river diagonally flows through the scene. I particularly enjoy that splash of water on the left side as it crosses over the downed tree. Beautifully done.

That rock along the left looks fine in your rework, it’s now similar to the other rocks on that far bank. I thinks its important for you to decide where you want the viewer to look. Adding some Orton and saturation in the top center helps pull the viewer there, completing the visual journey down the river. IMO you could even take that slightly further if you want, bu that is a matter of personal taste.

I toyed with it, but left it where it is because it was raining when I shot this and I wanted the farthest distance you can see to still be a little misty. It provides a natural out for your eye movement.