Space X Falcon 9

What started off as trying for the Milky Way in Infra red at Beavertail, RI, wound up with this UFO that I later learnt was the Space X Falcon 9 !
A pleasant surprise indeed

Specific Feedback Requested

Whatever

Technical Details

9 Likes

What a interesting surprise, indeed. I like the contrasting colors between the green trail from the rocket to the dark blues in the sky and oranges near the horizon. I don’t know if it jpg compression or my screen but the image looks a bit soft overall.

Awesome image, Karl. Wow, what a treat to see and capture this.

Karl,

That is pretty awesome. Would not have expected the green flare. Earlier this summer I was on the Big Sur coast trying to photograph the Milkyway as well when I saw a Falcon 9 launch from Vandenberg about 150 miles to the south. I was so amazed at the brightness and how fast it was moving that I completely forgot that I had a camera and did not get a single frame. I am impressed that you were able to keep your wita about you and got this frame.

1 Like

Hi Karl. Very cool image. The colors all work well together.

1 Like

This is such a interesting and unusual image, Karl. It looks like the northern lights at first glance at the thumbnail and then I read your story and yeah, how fortunate were you to grab an image of it. Well done. You framed it up nicely as well. The colors in the sky and the rockets trail are incredible. What a thing to witness.

Thanks @DeanRoyer , @David_Haynes , @Youssef_Ismail , @David_Bostock and @Cameron_Wilcox

Yes, i did get lucky. Besides isnt the IR spectrum interesting ? I have noticed that in IR, images tend to be a little soft. Besides, I did try some Glamour Glow ( Nik ) on some of the sky

1 Like

Just like @David_Haynes at first glance I thought that I was looking at northern light. What an amazing capture!
Great colors and even the position of the rocket is excellent. Congrats.

2 Likes

WOW! Oh My! What an incredible image! How fortunate for you to have witnessed this. I too first thought Norhtern lights when seeing the thumbnail.

Only have some minor suggestions. For me, I could see dropping the blacks (on increase contrast) as the lower half seems slightly murky? Also, not sure if the exposure of foreground should be a tad darker? Certainly a personal choice, but given the time of day I would think the bottom would be a tad darker.

This is an image that must be printed and displayed! Congrats!

Great capture! Congratulations, Karl!

1 Like

Congrats on the Yearly EP! Amazing colors.

1 Like

Sorry for the delay responding Lon - it’s that thing called work !

Thanks for your observations - will try your suggestions - I have an even better one with the Beavertail lighthouse and yes it is on a wall in my office!