Spring evening

Image: Lake Saimaa in spring evening

Description:

Specific Feedback Requested: all

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Canon Eos 5D + EF 300/4 IS

5 Likes

Hi Jorma, beautiful scene you have captured here. I love the warm reflected light but don’t think the top third of the image adds much and could be cropped like this. What do you think?

1 Like

Thanks Glenn. Yeah, I don’t know about the cropped. Why not like this :slight_smile: But it doesn’t seem to be topic relevant

Very nice. Gorgeous, vibrant orange. I like the abstract quality to this image. If I were going to crop it, I’d try a crop to just below the trees and land. the ducks would still be well placed within the frame and the crop would give the image even more of an abstract feel.

1 Like

I love the abstract feel to this image! I agree with the crop just below the tree line. It is a beautiful comp

Jorma, your image shows beautiful warm tones and almost creates an abstract feel to it. However, having that piece of land on the far horizon brings us back to reality. I like the image as you cropped it, especially since the challenge topic does say wildlife landscape. Cropping the part in the top section of the photo would take away the element of dimension and reference to the overall landscape. I like seeing how small the ducks are compared to the vast landscape. I guess, based on others’ comments, it is all in the eye of the beholder. If we could control nature, I would wish that the bottom dark shadows in the water would have been similar to the shadows in the upper section of the lake, i.e., less concentrated and more spread out.

Jorma, this is a beautiful scene, where the water birds and their trails add a fine extra touch of interest. The scene as posted has a fine, peaceful, you are here enjoying the natural world feeling.

I love this sunset wildlife landscape, Jorma! It has a very pleasant and peaceful mood and lots of depth. The large version is particularly nice as it has much more presence and greater detail in the birds. As for cropping, I agree completely with Egídio. Since the birds are small and silhouetted anyway its more about their presence in the overall scene rather than the birds specifically. The birds are a compliment to the landscape and the two combined are what makes this image special. I wouldn’t change a thing! Well done! :+1:

1 Like

Thanks Egidio, Gary and Mark. Those dark “shadows” in the water are ice. This was photographed just on the day of the ice break

1 Like