Standing tall

I so enjoy watching all of the different phases of these milkweeds. From flowering, seeding, blowing in the wind and finally just the pods are left. Seems like there are a lot of life lessons in there somewhere. Not the typical scenic wallpaper, but this is my current fascination.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

First time I’ve tried photographing a still life using just a small pen light flashlight as the only light source. I reduced the light output by creating a template with a really small (approx. 1mm) hole. Camera was on “bulb” and I highlight just the tip and wide spot on the two pods for approx. 3 to 4 sec. Then allowed the flashlight to go over the rest of the pods for barley a second or two. Are there other ways, or equipment, to create this type of image? Any other thoughts welcome.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

What I was attempting to create was a dramatic effect, did this work? Any and all other comments welcome.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Black backdrop, black glass used for reflection. In LR I used radial filter for small adjustments to texture, clarity, sharpening and noise reduction. In PS I used luminosity mask to dodge/burning small areas for emphasis.
Nikon D7200, f/20, 7.4 sec., iso 100, 100mm

Thanks

1 Like

I think it worked quite well. The image has a real nice elegance to it, with great shapes and colors. Very nicely done.

Wow, Linda, I am quite impressed. Yes, I would say that it worked. A nice dramatic effect. Very creative setup, and the lighting and reflection worked so nicely with the subject. Very creative.

Lovely and definitely elegant. I love the faint reflection, and the lighting is wonderful (and creative!), with no harsh shadows. Maybe for more drama, a bit less light on the “body” of the seed pod? I’m awaiting the ripening of the milkweed seed pods around here - thinking I better go check on them!

Thanks for your kind words @Harley_Goldman, @Shirley_Freeman and @Bonnie_Lampley. I did forget to mention, I cropped to 1:1, originally it was a vertical image but the milkweed pods seemed to get lost in all the black. And Bonnie, yes, I agree about the light on the body of the seed pod. Originally it was dark, I lightened it a bit, concerned the whole image was too dark . . . still learning to go with my gut feeling. Thanks again for the great feedback.

1 Like

The plant looms nicely from the dark ground, Linda, and I can certainly see this as a wallpaper with its simple forms surrounded by darkness. The effect works well for me.

Linda: Just a marvelously crafted image from capture to processing to final presentation. A lot of effort but the results are wonderful. :+1: :+1:>=))>

Linda, your light painting worked beautifully! There’s a fine sense of elegance in the pod and it’s subtle reflection against the black surroundings. The details stand out better in the large version, plus the reflection shows a bit better. Well conceived and executed.

@Ian_Wolfenden, @Bill_Fach and @Mark_Seaver, I appreciate your thoughts and comments. Thank you.

This is a finely crafted piece of fine art, Linda! The large version is particularly nice. The shapes and textures are fascinating. I’m glad you used a narrow aperture to get it all in focus because the sharpness of the textures and lines are so important in this. Great vision to see the possibilities, great planning to prepare for the photograph, superb execution of the plan and finally, well crafted processing to bring it to perfection! I think it’s gorgeous and something that should be presented with the right lighting in an art show!

Thank you Gary for your kind encouraging thoughts and comments.

This image works from me. The subtle lighting and soft shadows reveal a lot of texture and a very nice reflection too. Well done…Jim

Thanks Jim for your kind comments.

Mysterious and graceful, lovely work.

Thanks Kathy, appreciate you comments.

A beautiful composition and well thought out, Linda. It looks like your lighting system worked superbly. I’ve never tried this kind of thing, so I can’t comment on equipment, but the results sure look good.

Thanks Dennis. Panning with a small flashlight is tricky. I’ve only tried it a couple of times, still working on the best type of flashlight, timing, etc. Thanks again.