Stormy Dunes

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This photo was taken during a recent late afternoon at Great Sand Dunes National Park, Colorado. As I was hiking up the dunes it began to snow, leaving a light layer on top of the sand just as shadows were beginning to fill in.

Technical Details

Nikon Z7-2, 24-70 f/4 lens, ISO 200, aperture f/ll, shutter 1/160 seconds.

3 Likes

What are interesting scene with the layer of snow on the dunes. I like the overall flow of the image that, to my eye, runs from the lower left to the upper right. Also nice color contrast between the sky and dunes.

What a beautiful dynamic shot! The contrast is to die for. The large view is incredible. I’ll just sit here and enjoy this for awhile. It’s a hanger for sure.

Hi Michael,
that’s an awesome dune shot. I love the way you composed the colors and the shapes in the image. There are so many nice textures. And the snow in the dunes is a nice extra detail.

I can only recommend you print the picture large and hang it on your wall.

The light, shapes and color contrasts are stunning Michael. It also has a very nice visual flow.

Hi Michael,

What a great and unique subject, I’ve never seen this area in person and I’ve never seen sand dunes with a dusting of snow as this image shows.
The uphill perspective is unique for me as well.

The mixture of colors is very appealing and the light directions just tops it off!

It reminds me of something I’ve seen but I can’t quite put my finger on it at the moment.

I see that this is your first post here in three years, I would love to see more of your work so please don’t be shy :slight_smile: Post whatever you’re willing to share, we’d love to see it. :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Wonderful and very unique – not just the snow but the shapes of the dunes and the shadows – intriguing. And the ripples are so cool! Definitely a print and hang. In a gallery.

Not by any means a suggested “improvement” but I wonder if you have played with different treatments of brightness and contrast in the sky? Not the simple adjustments, but more complex tweaks, from Curves on up to local contrast adjustments. For me, there is some dichotomy between the cloudy BG sky and the brighter light on the dunes.

Thank you Diane for the suggestion to test various treatments of the brightness and contrast in the sky. I will try to do that over this coming weekend.

Gorgeous image, Michael. I love the diagonal flow in this scene and that dark moody sky compliments the earth tones of the dunes beautifully. The light dusting of snow was certainly a bonus element here. Very nicely done. No suggestions from me.

Michael,

What a fantastic dune image! We’ve seen many from the Great Sand Dunes of CO, but this one I must say is quite unique! And unique in a most positive way! Love this!

I think the colors and contrast are beautiful as presented. I don’t think I would change anything and would proceed to print! If that’s what you’ll be doing. This will look fantastic. I like your choice of framing here for online presentation too.

I have just one teeny-tiny nitpick, suggestion. There are 2 very small specs on top of the middle plateau of the dune, left of center about 1/4 the way in along the center line. (and if you can follow that, great… otherwise, at the larger view, look for 2 specs in the open dune…on the left. ) I would clone those little things. Pretty minor, but drew the eye in the larger view.

Beautiful landscape. Thanks for sharing!

Lon

Thank you so much Lon for the review and the suggestion for the minor edit, which I will definitely make.

So beautiful! I love the two tones…dark blue and brown/tan.