Sunset through Lens Ball

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

With an general composition, does the viewer appreciate a more detailed view through the “lens ball”, does it peak any interest?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Technical Details

Taken on 2/15/23 in Tall Timbers at the Jetties with Canon 5ds-r and Canon 100x400x1.4 lens at f-9, 1/400 and iso 6400 at evening sunset.

Definitely grabs my interest with a well done view through the ball. Very nice!

More information on processing would be good, as there is a lot of color noise which should be avoidable or fixable (probably some of both would be needed). The sky is blown out in the ball, which could be avoided or minimized in the raw processing.

A friend of mine has one of these, but as I remember, it made scene look upside down in the lens ball. I like the idea here, for sure. And a beautiful scene. I hope that you can fix those things mention by @Diane_Miller because it reminds me of holding magnifying glass up. Neat!

Thanks so much, I had to learn how to rotate the ball in Photoshop which is a trick in itself.

You managed it well!