Super Low Tide Long Exposure w/repost

Description: Went to the Oregon coast yesterday to catch the full moon and super low tide. Unfortunately, fog hid the moon. So I went for some long exposures to catch the rocks normally not seen. Due to the fog and all, it seemed to work best in B&W.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Any critiques/comments appreciated

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites) No

Fujifilm, GFX 100, 100-200mm lens at 105mm. 120seconds @ f/22, ISO 160.
Processed in Capture One with Fujifilm Across B&W profile. Cropped the boring foggy sky.

Here’s a repost with some of the suggestions below. Thanks all.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Very compelling scene with the tide so low, and the gossamer water from the long exposure is wonderful! The detail from that sensor is a delight!

I wonder about removing the small rock close to the bottom border.

Quite a fascinating image. The water looks more like fog than water, almost like looking at mountain tops with valley fog. Maybe crop out 1/3 of the remaining sky but no other suggestions come to mind.

Wonderful photo, David. It has, at least for me, a calm quieting feel, making me wish I had been there. The horizonal lines of the water are so soft and do remind me of fog. Great capture.

The gfx100 must give you plenty of opportunities for cropping. In this case I like the sharp fg rocks with the ‘fog’ around them but not so much the distant out of focus rocks with their fog. So I would crop this image.

1 Like

I love the look of the water, and your understated B&W processing, which re-inforces the gentle mood. I agree with @Diane_Miller about removing the rock at the bottom via cloning. I go back and forth on cropping the sky, I can see the case for either doing it or not. Perhaps that means leave it as presented. Nice work David, the image has a lot of mood.