Sweat Bee (Halictidae)

No flash; 1/400 s, ISO 400, 135 mm (crop sensor), F/11

What technical feedback would you like if any?

All

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Gaurav, A nice find and capture. Real nice details in the bee, especially in the eyes and face, where you would want it. I am bothered by the flower somewhat, because it is yellow and white (bright colors) it seems to take my eyes away from the bee. If you have some room on the left side, you might be add some to the left, and crop out some of that flower. If not, it is still a good shot. I am loving the color of the bee, and that nice smooth background.

1 Like

@Shirley_Freeman, a very good point. I was concentrating on the bee, but the flower is a bit of a bright unfocused mess. I have several dozen photos from this trip, let me see if there is one where both the bee and the flower are in sync.

And thank you for the suggestions.

1 Like

Gaurav, the details in the bee’s eye are great. It’s hard to get close enough to resolve the eye facets and they show very well here. I agree that if you had the time and ability to move the camera a bit to the left to get the bee out from behind the flower it would have been good, but recognize that such changes are hard with a living, moving subject like this. The alternative is to reduce the visual impact of the yellow flower by burning it in (darkening) in your post processing.

2 Likes